Problems with Cotoneaster and oaks?

• 6 Replies

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
Problems with Cotoneaster and oaks?
« on: November 07, 2011, 03:43:50 PM »
Hello all,

Was selling seedling Cotoneaster lacteus at our local MGS plant fair on Saturday and had a rather curious comment from one customer about using Cotoneaster near oaks - he had read that this can cause problems for the oaks. Has anyone heard of this and can you explain in a bit more detail? Is it a local thing (UK) or worldwide? Thanks!
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Problems with Cotoneaster and oaks?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 05:26:20 PM »
I have not heard of this.
Oaks themselves can suppress other species, primarily herbs and grasses, through the release of coumarins as exudates into the soil. Black walnuts suppress many trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants (including cotoneaster) by releasing juglone.

For reference on allelopathy:
- Informative discussion on allelopathy and other issues - http://www.sustland.umn.edu/implement/trees_turf.html.
- Black walnut toxicity specifically - http://www.mortonarb.org/tree-plant-advice/article/887/plants-tolerant-of-black-walnut-toxicity.html.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
Thanks for that Mike, yes I was surprised by it too. Haven't been able to find anything online so far. As you are, I was already aware of several trees/larger shrubs which discourage growth around them (Rhododendron, Eucalyptus and pine being other obvious additions to this group), but Cotoneaster was not one of them.
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 06:45:10 PM »
Marilyn, I'd go further than Mike and say that it's virtually inconceivable that an oak could be damaged by any cotoneaster. I don't think there's any need for frantic googling in this case! It sounds very much as if the person who spoke to you had misheard someone talking about cotoneasters being susceptible to one of the known culprits that you mention, as indeed they are.
As for oaks, to take the converse, most are kindly trees that shelter and protect plants growing beneath and around them. The deciduous oaks in particular are wonderful nurses for lilies.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 07:14:20 PM »
But Heidi Gildemeister says we must only grow plants which don't need watering under oaks...
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 11:13:54 PM »
Phew! Thanks for that guys and gals. Re: Fleur's comment, I can vouch for the drought resistance of Cotoneaster lacteus in the garden here, we have a heap of them who had their irrigation switched off last year and didn't bat an eyelid. Not certain how they would hold up against the added root competition of a tree though.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 10:25:55 AM »
I planted what may be Cotoneaster lacteus round the trunk of an almond tree - I wanted it to look like a ruff and sometimes it does. It doesn't grow very enthusiastically even though it's on a drip, but that's OK, less pruning for me. I'll try taking it off irrigation in view of what Marilyn says - it'll be better for the almond I think.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece