Albizia

• 20 Replies

Bracey

Re: Albizia
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 09:45:57 PM »
I'm finding this discussion too funny as this tree is a weed here in San Jose, California.  It grows everywhere, reseeding like mad.  We have heavy alkaline clay soils here.  And bone dry in the summer with large cracks in un-irrigated areas.  Cheers, Bracey

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 07:10:34 AM »
 :)
A case of: one man's weed is another man's want-it!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

JTh

• Email
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 02:20:03 PM »
Absolutely
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 07:14:05 PM »
Following my mention of how well they are doing in London I took a hand held shot of this one in Dulwich village today. South London.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 07:27:38 PM »
'Summer Chocolate' is now for sale in Norway, I don't think I'll have more luck with it here than in Greece.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 11:30:02 AM »
Much to my regret I have to post a warning about using Albizia julibrissin as a summer shade tree. My biggest and best specimen is growing in my mountain village garden, planted to shade a paved sitting area. After ten years and judicious pruning its canopy is wide enough and in the spring and early summer it's fine but when we visited in August it was a disaster. The falling flowers had made a thick carpet of cough and sneeze inducing rubbish underneath. Never mind we have brooms and tissues and the stuff goes straight onto the compost heap. But when I'd finished clearing up I found that the tree also ouses honey at this time of year - into my hair and on to my clothes - and onto the car parked outside. So we simply couldn't use the sitting area and sheltered from the heat of the sun round the sides of the house.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece