Quercus look

• 5 Replies

fragman

Quercus look
« on: August 29, 2011, 06:51:26 PM »
We are proud to have a large 70 species oak collection. One of the local interesting ones is Quercus look, growing in Mt Hermon.
Ori Fragman-Sapir
Jerusalem Botanical Gardens

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Quercus look
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 07:52:15 AM »
Ori, I see that The Plant List currently ranks Q. look (what an interesting name!) as a synonym for Quercus ithaburensis subsp. ithaburensis. It looks so utterly different from the much more familiar subsp. macrolepis, which has those magnificent acorn-cups, that I'd have thought these must indeed be two different species. But if the type species is indeed your plant, then wouldn't Q. look take the original Q. ithaburensis name, and the macrolepis subspecies revert to Q. macrolepis?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

fragman

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 09:17:56 AM »
Q. ithaburensis ssp ithaburensis is a very different species, I believe it it has the largest acorns of all oaks, see picture. The plant list is wonderful but has some mistakes. Its not the first one I find. Ori
PS how do I attach more than 1 picture in a post here ?
Ori Fragman-Sapir

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 09:36:30 AM »
PS how do I attach more than 1 picture in a post here ?

Hi Ori and Welcome!!!

After you upload the first Photo, near the 'Browse' botton you have 'more attachments' in brachets, click on this one and you can add more photos.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:38:24 AM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Pescalune

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 05:09:05 PM »
If you go to the MGS website and type "Itaburensis" in the "Site search" tool, you will find some interesting descriptions and photos of this marvelous oak tree, and the official name for it.
For example:

http://www.mediterraneangardensociety.org/43-sundries.html

Pescalune

fragman

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 05:43:04 PM »
Q. ithaburensis ssp. ithaburensis is typical for open forests of the lower parts of the Mediterranean zone in Israel and surroundings. See attached map of Q. ithaburensis ssp. ithaburensis distribution map that we made for our garden labels.
This tree is really magnificent some ancient ones occur near holy places, see pictures.
Ori Fragman-Sapir