Aphis neri - yellow/orange aphid on oleander and milkweed (Asclepias)

• 3 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
In a different thread, David gives an ID for this aphid; I put this link here just for ready reference.
Click on the 'Quote from...' line to go to that thread.

Your yellow aphid is A neri.  The following extract was taken from a Languedoc branch report "Ten members replied that their most important insect pest was aphid or greenfly.  A.neri, the yellow oleander species is their major problem. This aphid can overwinter on Euphorbiaceae and Asclepiadaceae (milkweed) species, both local weeds."  
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Hilary

Re: Aphis neri - yellow/orange aphid on oleander and milkweed (Asclepias)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 05:33:13 PM »
A neri
At last I know what has been bothering me all summer.
I have a Hoya  carnosa which I have had to inspect on a daily basis and spray with soapy water. The plant has produced lots of new growth this year which the aphids loved  but only one or two flowers.
I have just read somewhere that the aphids don't like the smell of garlic, catnip and mint.
Has anyone tried this?
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 08:21:35 PM »
This is a popular myth; I have never seen any comparative data however certain people swear buy it ..........companion planting.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

ezeiza

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 02:57:19 AM »
This requires a very simple comprobation: in spring when garlics and onions are in flower guess which little creatures crowd the flower peduncles? Same with Calendula and other sworn by plants.