Flower held by St Jerome Emiliani IDd by Oron as Impatiens balsamina

• 18 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Flower held by St Jerome Emiliani
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 11:16:32 AM »
What we are still missing, to complete the detective story, is an emblematic link between the saint and his balsam staff. He was very active during a bubonic plague episode but so far as I know this plant never became known as a protector from the plague.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 02:04:02 PM »
The staff could be simply representative after all balsam is hardly strong enough to make a staff.  I will see what I have.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Cali

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 02:40:48 PM »
Knowing more about language than botany, I would venture that the word "balsam", or its variations in other languages but usually meaning "balm" (the same word probably) has been used to describe a variety of plants. Here in Corfu, for example, the name βάλσαμο (Balsamo, in case our forum doesn't do Greek) is used for a variety of spearmint, known in english as "Eau de Cologne"mint. (It invaded my annual bed a few years ago and practically evicted the lawful occupants.) What I'm getting at, if I haven't succeeded in confusing the issue,  is that the artist used the Balsam as symbolic of all medicinal balms.
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President
Gardens in Corfu, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 03:11:04 PM »
Cali, That sounds the right track. And the soothing or calming quality of balsam would fit well with his work for orphans.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society