Pistacia - giant gall IDd by Oron as Baizongia pistaciae

• 2 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Pistacia - giant gall IDd by Oron as Baizongia pistaciae
« on: October 23, 2011, 09:04:24 PM »
I see several of these each year, scattered around the countryside.
Any ideas? (If not, I'll have to take my scalpel to one...)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:57:23 PM by Alisdair »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Pistacia - giant gall?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 06:19:12 AM »
Yes Mike these are galls cauesed by an oranged colored aphid named Baizongia pistaciae.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Pistacia - giant gall?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:28:15 AM »
Thanks Oron.
Because these galls are big (the one in the photo was about 12cm long), I was going to ask how big those aphids were - so I could prepare to defend myself!
But I see they are normal size, just lots of them:
"These galls form perfectly closed pouches with a volume of tens of milliliters, which may contain thousands of aphids, representing four generations of descendants of a single female fundatrix."
(http://knol.google.com/k/baizongia-pistaciae-l-a-gall-inducer-aphid-in-pistacia-palaestina-boiss-trees#)
That page gives a good explanation of their life cycle.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England