My mediterranean garden in South Est of France

• 5 Replies
My mediterranean garden in South Est of France
« on: October 21, 2011, 09:28:48 PM »
I'm a beginner on this Forum, ...but not in gardenning ! I'm french and my garden is located in South Est of France, near Hyères Les Palmiers. To make you share my garden, I tried to insert some pictures but without succes. So, I give you the link with my web site on my mediterranean garden : www.jardinsud.fr
...and sorry for my faults in english !
Michel GAUTIER
MGS Member
My garden is a mediterranean garden located in South Est of France and you can visit it at this address : www.jardinsud.fr

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: My mediterranean garden in South Est of France
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 07:51:24 AM »
Michel, we're delighted that you have started posting on the Forum and that you have taken the trouble to use English! A quick look at your web site shows that you have experience of many of the plants we've been discussing here. For instance Bidens ferulifolia - do you have success with this pretty ground cover and what conditions do you find it enjoys?
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 08:01:34 AM »
Michel - salut et bienvenue!
You have some lovely plants and photos. I have added Epilobium canum (syn. Zauschneria californica) to my 'wants list'; I can't believe I forgot it!
And it is very interesting to see proof of Brachychiton acerifolius growing (and colouring) well in a mediterranean setting - http://www.jardinsud.fr/pages/Les_arbres_et_arbustes-5520467.html. I had fancied this but then had to rule it out for climatic reasons. Now I think maybe I can grow it after all.
FYI, The Plant List has Lantana montevidensis as the accepted name for L. sellowiana.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 08:18:52 AM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 07:06:15 PM »
Thank you for your congratulations.

Fleur, I have tried two ways of growing Bidens ferulifolia : the first in partial shade under Nerium olander. In this place, it grows slowly, rather low, and blooms in a sporadic way, mainly when the weather is warm. The second way : in full sun all the days of the year (in due South), sheltered from the cold wind (The "Mistral") : then, it's blooming amazingly all the year, even the winter, with a lot of flowers, and forming higther plant. Unmistakably, it grows better in sun ...but need more wather for that ! (nb : in this place, it's in zone USDA 10a)

Mike, I'm going to try to propagate Epilobium canun 'Western hills from cuttings or to layer. If that walks (it's never win for me !), I send it to you. Thank you for the correct name of lantana montevidensis; I'm going to modify that.
Michel GAUTIER
MGS Member
My garden is a mediterranean garden located in South Est of France and you can visit it at this address : www.jardinsud.fr

Daisy

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 04:50:59 PM »
Michel, I have been looking at your photographs of your garden. Just what is needed on a November evening. Lovely.

I have grown Bidens ferulifolia for the first time in a mediterranean climate garden this year. My plants have behaved differently than yours. Mine are in full sun all day, but all summer they have hardly grown at all. They have produced very few flowers. However, since the weather has grown cooler and we have had a lot of cloud, they have tripled in size and are now full of flower!
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 06:22:21 PM »
I think, Daisy, that this plant grows and blooms very right and better in the sun... only if it has a lot of water. When I planted mine, I put a micro-drip (a "goutteur" in french) above the roots which gives much more water than those who are in the shade or under partial shade.

Besides, the first year, because I understood that it is their first year in this place, roots are not very developed nor very deep. The bad weather of these last days, if I can say that, seems maybe like a second spring after a warm and dry summer.

I think that they will bloom better next summer. To follow...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 06:52:39 PM by Michel GAUTIER »
Michel GAUTIER
MGS Member