Gecko

• 7 Replies

Hilary

Gecko
« on: October 19, 2011, 05:17:04 PM »
This Gecko fell out of a plant when I opened the balcony door.
It lay there while I went to get the camera and take its photo several times.
Only when I touched its tail did it wiggle away.
We have them on both balconies but hardly ever see them and I have never heard them.
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Gecko
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »
Charming little critters, aren't they?!
There are lots of Hemidactylus species; I wouldn't like to say definitively which one yours is (the easy guess is Hemidactylus turcicus, the Turkish gecko).
We have one that lives in the electric box by the front door - nice and close to the outside light. But in May-June+ we get lots of mayflies there and he seems to take no notice :(  Maybe he is sick of them (no they are not just the shed skins).
We have others round and about. They do call - a sort of 'cack', but not very often.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:12:41 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 10:04:01 AM »
Geckos have a really alarming habit of dropping off their tails as you try to encourage them into a paper cup when they've fallen into the shower. The tail then continues to wriggle around which is frankly disgusting. The ones in my electric box cackle a lot.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alice

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 04:08:21 PM »
This gecko looks like it has only recently regrown its tail.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 05:44:10 PM »
How quickly can they regrow a complete tail?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 08:15:39 PM »
I have read that replacement tails grow back in as little as two to three months or as long as two years, but the replacement tail is never as long as nor as colorful as the original one. There are short videos showing tail regeneration of leopard geckoes, such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDdVs4qM1XU.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alice

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 10:30:52 PM »
Fascinating topic.
I too came to similar conclusions as Jorun.
The time-lapse video for the leopard gecko is quite interesting.
On average a gecko seems to grow its tail back in about 2-3 months. The new tail differs from the original anatomically as well as in appearance. It has a single long tube of cartilage rather than vertebrae and long muscles instead of the shorter muscle fibres of the original. It is also less flexible and some but not the complete function is restored. By the way the ability to drop a tail, which is designed to distract predators, is called tail autotomy.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 10:58:41 PM »
We have gecko's too. We have at least two kinds. One is called the drop-tail gecko. The other is just called a gecko. These last live in the dry stone walls in our garden and are quite numerous. I guess we must have plenty of insect life for them to feed on. They live in my two green-houses too, scuttling about between the pots and on the coarse gravel of the floors. I can't say I've ever heard any 'cacking' noises. Maybe ours are mute?
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.