Unwanted Wildlife!!

• 1 Replies

Daisy

Unwanted Wildlife!!
« on: October 14, 2011, 05:05:46 PM »
Help!!!
I have unwanted wildlife in my garden.
Each morning I find more of my potted plants dug out with their roots in the sun.
The pots are usually tipped over, with most of the compost out.
I have replanted some of my narcissi four times now and a young alstromeria and Astelia chatamica have disappeared altogether.
I believe it is a polecat, although I have never seen it.

I bought a dozen bags of mothballs, from the local shop. ( That caused some raised eyebrows!) :o
I thought those, scattered on top and around the pots, would deter the animal, but they haven't worked.
Has anyone any ideas?
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Unwanted Wildlife!!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 05:12:53 PM »
I keep the kittens from peeing in the pots by using a layer of largish, sharpish stones on the top of the soil. Pine cones can do the same job - I used to use them to stop big cats from sleeping on little plants. We don't have have polecats though some unidentified animal once ate all my freshly planted acorns.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece