50cm tall, glaucous leaves, no flower [IDd as Nicotiana glauca by Hans & Oron]

• 8 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
I have just one of these, which is unusual as with most of my weeds I have hundreds of them.
Any clues?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:58:42 AM by Alisdair »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

HansA

Re: 50cm tall, glaucus leaves, no flower yet
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 08:13:19 AM »
Looks like Nicotiana glauca.
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 08:54:32 AM »
Yes, it is N. Nicotiana.
It is 50cm now but it is going to be about 3 meters next spring....
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 12:34:52 PM »
Thanks guys.
I see the dynamic checklist of the flora of Cyprus has it as 'naturalized invasive' in my district (http://160.45.63.151/dataportal/cyprus/?q=cdm_dataportal/taxon/02e2042d-38db-4e77-90a7-39eb8690af3b).

I am dubious whether it is garden-worthy. But it managed to look after itself unaided through the long dry summer and could be a useful contributor to slope stabilization (providing deep roots itself yet an airy canopy that would allow other plants to grow below and stabilize the shallower depths in the soil). I think I will give it the benefit of the doubt for now, and see how it goes.
...Unless somebody tells me to have it out pronto otherwise I'll never get rid of it or its offspring...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 01:12:10 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email

....Unless somebody tells me to have it out pronto otherwise I'll never get rid of it or its offspring...

Mike,
Have it out pronto otherwise you'll never get rid of it or its offspring!!
Oron
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

ezeiza

It is a native here in NW Argentina in dry winter regions. Invasive and capable of germinating in cracks in walls and as it grows breaking the wall apart.

Very popular as a folk medicine. The leaves' epidermis is carefully peeled and the fleshy surface left applied on burns, rashes, wounds. and any sort of skin problem. Reputed to be very effective in aiding healing.

I have seen it used in borders in the web as a short shrub (killed down by frost?)

In your dry climate I would make any effort to kill as many as I can.

Hilary

I thought the leaves looked familiar.
Three of four of these tall bushes grow along the edge of the boxed in dry river bed, here in Corinth.
They make a nice change to the graffiti covered cement and look quite pretty when the yellow flowers are out.
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Thanks folks.
It is no more.
Mike

GRJoe

• Email
Invasive yes, but it is a pioneer here in many wastelands in Attiki/Greece... where no other small trees would grow, except maybe for Parkinsonias. Can its leaves be a substitute to tobacco? I see "tree tobacco" as vernacular name!!
Joe Breidi
Occasional gardening and garden design wherever possible! Currently living in Puglia, Italy. Special interest in dry climate gardening, and in preserving wildlife.