Asclepias

• 12 Replies

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Asclepias
« on: October 12, 2011, 05:18:10 PM »
This Asclepias syriaca is a strange plant which I planted out as a little thing last autumn and see how big it's grown. It flowered all summer and now has these spikey seed pods. I'm waiting to see what they do next. I'll definitely collect the seeds if they mature to make more babies because I suspect it'll be short-lived. Sally told me that it suffers from white-fly but I can't say they've been a problem.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 05:34:41 PM by Alisdair »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Asclepias
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 05:35:31 PM »
Strange indeed, interesting, and quite graceful. How much water have you had to give it?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 05:41:12 PM »
I have not grown your A. syriaca, but, in contrast to the white-fly you mention, my A. tuberosa spends a lot of its life hosting bright orange aphids (which also crop up on my Oleander).
It is presumably just coincidental that your/Sally's white-flowered species has white pests, and my orange-flowered one has orange ones...
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
Nice one, Mike!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 08:23:51 PM »
Your yellow aphid is A neri.  The following extract was taken from a Languedoc branch report "Ten members replied that their most important insect pest was aphid or greenfly.  A.neri, the yellow oleander species is their major problem. This aphid can overwinter on Euphorbiaceae and Asclepiadaceae (milkweed) species, both local weeds." 
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John

Re: Not Asclepias but Gomphocarpus
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 11:13:07 PM »
Though it is a near relative I believe that the plant photographed here is a Gomphocarpus species. Either G. physocarpus or G. fruticosus.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 02:42:31 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 06:16:12 AM »
Aphis neri - that's useful to know - thanks David
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 10:23:12 AM »
It's the latter, John; see the photo where the seed pod has a nose which grows and grows. Thanks for putting me right.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:13:30 AM »
And does this mean that the flowers are scented?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 02:44:56 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 09:16:19 AM »
Sorry Fleur copyright is automatic on these files. Though the sun glasses are mine or should I say Oron's!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 02:45:16 PM by Alisdair »
John

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 11:14:40 AM »
 ;D
Mike

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 07:43:55 AM »
The serious moderators are away plant hunting so....

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 02:44:09 PM »
Well, I don't know... we leave you alone for a week and look at what you get up to!
Alisdair Aird