Best time for Salvia cuttings

• 3 Replies

pamela

Best time for Salvia cuttings
« on: September 18, 2011, 09:00:05 AM »
I want to take cuttings of some of my Salvias in particular S.discolor, S.somalensis, S.chamaedryoides, S.blepharophylla, S. interrupta.  When is the best time?  I tried several S. somalensis a couple of months ago but they didn't take.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

JTh

• Email
Re: Best time for Salvia cuttings
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 09:51:21 AM »
The time seems to be now. There is some info about this at the RHS site http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=300
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

ezeiza

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »
Very good time is when new growth develops. Basal growth is particularly good but it depends on the species which roots best: axilar, basal or apical. In practice, it is best to try the three types at the same time if available.

pamela

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 01:38:07 PM »
Thank you both very much for that.  I think the RHS site is excellent Jorun.  I will try the basal growth as that makes sense and I haven't tried it before. I don't have luck with cuttings of Salvias usually except for S. guaranitica which is nearly always successful for me. I have on occasion just poked it into the ground and lo and behold I have a small bush.But that is in Spring when the ground is moist. 
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar