Spider's "nest"?

• 4 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Spider's "nest"?
« on: October 07, 2011, 06:27:19 PM »
When giving one of my large lavender bushes its autumn trim I found several of these beautiful creations that I believe to be made by spiders. Their shape is always the same, almost pitcher or jug like (without the spout or handle) and with an opening at the top. Surrounding the creation there a few fine silken stands that help it to adhere to the stems. These are hardly visible to the naked eye but can be felt, holding the whole thing in position. On looking into the opening, at the top of the "neck" you can see that there is a wad of the same material protecting whatever is inside. The darker markings give the impression of a real work of art. The dimensions are roughly 4cm high by 3cm at its widest point. Come Mike, or somebody, and tell me I am harbouring a deadly enemy, I don't care these things are truly works of art!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Spider's "nest"?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 07:53:42 PM »
Umbrian - how very interesting - I have absolutely no idea!
I suspect aliens.

Update:
Wasp nest? - But they usually have the opening at the bottom. Top-opening would be more like a spider (thinking trap door spider), but it doesn't feel right. You seeing the same material through the opening at the top makes me think wasp nest (imagining one of the types of structure they build). Maybe the opening being at the top is OK if there is a rain deflector inside and a hole at the bottom. ...Is there a hole at the bottom?
Of course I am tempted to ask you to cut it open to investigate, but that's not allowed in the rules, is it?!
I can't really see it being the work of moth/butterfly/beetle larvae, or bug nymphs.
Ants? - No - there is silk.
The dark lines up the outside are a little confusing; I wonder if they are remnant (dead) lavender leaves, incorporated into the structure. ...And perhaps making it harder to see any fainter markings (showing how it was built). Wasp nests often show a particular pattern, created as they build the nest from chewed-up wood or other fibres.

Wasp nests have been reported in lavender - http://cailho-le-haut.blogspot.com/2011/07/2011-07-04-wasps-nest-in-lavender.html.

You shouldn't have got me thinking about this just before I go to bed.
...Not least in case they come in the night - body snatchers, you know!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:33:56 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 08:55:03 PM »
Carole,
It is the sac that contains the eggs of a nice black and yellow colored spider called Argiope brunnenchi
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 08:35:34 AM by Alisdair »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 09:10:34 PM »
Indeed, yes (I see some other photos of it now) - well done Oron.
I've learned something else new today :)
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 07:18:24 AM »
Thanks as ever to the walking encyclopedia, Oron, whose knowledge leaves me gasping for breath!
Hope you did not pass too disturbed a night Mike!
An interesting point - there is one of these very spiders in a large web spun between the lavender where I saw the nests and an adjacent one. Is this just coincidence or is it keeping a watchful eye on its future progeny?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.