Texas Ranger, Cenizo, Ash-bush (Leucophyllum frutescens)

• 11 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Texas Ranger, Cenizo, Ash-bush (Leucophyllum frutescens)
« on: October 07, 2011, 09:40:09 AM »
At last - I found a specimen of this plant for sale :)
It was in a garden centre in Paphos, and I was especially pleased to get the plant I did - because it is a very nicely grey-leaved form. I am sure this colouration is not just due to season / rainfall / cultural conditions, because it was right next to another specimen, of similar stature, which was the (more usual) green-leaved type.
The plant looked gorgeous; I had to have it!
It was a bit scrappy in its lower branches, but that'll disappear in time.
I have not planted it yet, but am pleased to see the bees have already found it.

It has several common names; note that Cenizo means 'ashen' in Spanish.
Dear forum readers, what common name do you use for it?

I would just like to ask if anybody has comments about the grey-green nature of the leaves. Is there a continuous spectrum or are there distinct forms (and if so, are there names?)
(I note: "In 1982 Benny Simpson released two unusual selections: 'White Cloud', with white flowers, and 'Green Cloud', with green instead of silver leaves" - http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/nativeshrubs/leucophyllumfrutes.htm.)
Update: I have stumbled across 'Silverado' - http://www.learn2grow.com/plants/leucophyllum-frutescens-silverado/.

From my researches, it appears to be an excellent shrub for med. gardens (so it is about time it was mentioned on this forum!). Some extracts showing why I say that:
- "commonly used for edge and area plantings in warmer and drier areas; it requires minimal water, is easily shaped into hedges, and blooms over the entire surface." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leucophyllum_frutescens);
- "doesn't like rich soil or being fed, does like a little water to keep it going until it is established"
- "grows on rocky caliche slopes and stony, calcareous soils. It is extremely drought and heat tolerant and maintenance-free once established", "to thrive in a landscape, it must have full sun and very well-drained alkaline soil. Although watering in dry summer months will make it grow faster, overwatering or poor drainage will quickly kill it, and shade will promote leggy growth and less flowering", "not susceptible to pests or diseases other than cotton root rot, which well-drained soil will discourage", "hardy to 5 degrees F" (http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/nativeshrubs/leucophyllumfrutes.htm)
- "high tolerance to extreme heat, salt and wind make it even more useful for tough landscapes" (http://www.learn2grow.com/plants/leucophyllum-frutescens-silverado/)

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 09:58:02 AM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

hilberry

Re: Texas Ranger, Cenizo, Ash-bush (Leucophyllum frutescens)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 10:45:18 AM »
That's a beautiful plant!  It's so good you found it.  :)

It wouldn't like it here unfortunately as we get frost and my conservatory is unheated.  :-\
Retired artist/potter.  Amateur gardener searching for suitable plants for my hot dry summers, cool wet winters.  Redesigning the garden to have a shady area under trees, so searching also for dry shade plants and ideas for the type of soil needed.  I live in S.Loire Atlantique, France

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 11:15:30 AM »
hilberry - if the info (below) is true, it will take up to 15C of frost (5F)...
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 02:39:37 PM »
We got a Leucophyllum frutescens after seein them thriving at Olivier Filippi's and hearing his great enthusiasm for them. It just about hangs on without watering in our hot Greek garden, but we're still hoping
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

ezeiza

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 10:28:15 PM »
It is not a desert plant. Has a great informal shape. In flower the whole 12 months with occasional waterings. Impervious to -8 C frosts.

Do we already have a thread on Westringia?

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 07:46:56 AM »
Mike

hilberry

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 10:18:14 AM »
Thanks for the info, Mike.  I'd love to get one.  The local garden centres only sell popular and well known plants, so I'd like info on any reputable mail order garden centres.  Isn't there a thread here somewhere on this.  Newbie confusion. :-[
Retired artist/potter.  Amateur gardener searching for suitable plants for my hot dry summers, cool wet winters.  Redesigning the garden to have a shady area under trees, so searching also for dry shade plants and ideas for the type of soil needed.  I live in S.Loire Atlantique, France

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Plant suppliers
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 10:39:16 AM »
Hilary, You can see the main list of mail order plant suppliers by clicking here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

hilberry

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 03:37:37 PM »
thanks, Alistair.  I found it on my own and looked at the sites in France as I only speak French and English.  The site jardin-sec looks very good and has leucophyllum frutescens with grey leaves!  Lapetitepepiniere also stock it, but I found their site not as helpful or as full of information.

Now I need to put together an order worth at least 30 euros as they don't post anything under.  Definitely a cistus,probably cistus clusii var. multiflorus, but I also want a low growing grey leaves plant for the edge of the bed.  Some studying needed!

ezeiza

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 11:52:58 PM »
Grey an Artemisia, silver, Santolina.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 09:19:51 AM »
hilberry - Some thoughts at random:
- Ballota (eg. B. pseudodictamnus)
- Helichrysum (eg. H. argyrophyllum - http://witbos.co.za/plant.aspx?plant=helichrysum-argyrophyllum)
- Sedum sieboldii (maybe S. s. variegata)
- Sempervivum arachnoides
- Graptopetalum paraguayense
- Origanum dictamnus (Cretan dittany) - lovely silvery foliage; needs clipping to tidy it up. "Tiny rose-pink flowers surrounded by brighter purple-pink bracts add an exuberant splash of colour to the plant in summer and autumn." [Wikipedia]
- Trichodiadema setulifera - http://www.plantesdusud.com/IMG/jpg/suc107640x480.jpg
- Drosanthemum floribundum (Rodondo creeper) - often seen growing as a thin 'waterfall' over rocks and walls, with pale mauve flowers in sping/early summer. The Plant List has D. candens as a synonym, though that is the name commonly associated with it. NB. Out of season, it looks somewhat unsightly, however (and you probably won't find many photos showing that). In-season, even when not in flower, it looks fine -
http://imagensubir.infojardin.com/suben/images/cqs1273360262k.JPG
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:32:46 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike

hilberry

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 10:13:12 AM »
Oooh! Thanks Mike for your not-so-random thoughts.  I'll look them all up.
Ezieza, Thanks too.  I've already got those plants.  My particular artemesia is the French absinthe.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:14:48 AM by hilberry »