Mango (Mangifera indica)

• 8 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Mango (Mangifera indica)
« on: October 07, 2011, 08:16:48 AM »
What are the chances of my growing and fruiting mango in Cyprus?
I saw some nice young plants in a garden centre in Paphos yesterday -
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:55:06 AM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Mango
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 08:30:48 AM »
Mike, avocadoes grow on the Cote d`Azur , near Menton and I think they are grown commercially in Granada  but I`m not sure about mangoes. They may be grown in Granada as well and Israel so have a go. David.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Mango (Mangifera indica)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 08:54:40 AM »
Thanks David.

This page provides some useful info - http://www.canarius.com/blog/tag/mango.
It suggests mango will grow in Cyprus, there are many culitvars to choose from, may be best to look for a grafted named cultivar, Gomera-1 is a useful rootstock because of enhanced cold adaptation (all things relative), etc.
Notwithstanding that useful info, I would be very pleased to hear from anybody who grows mangoes or has grown them in the past, successfully or not.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 09:19:17 AM »
Mike, you can certainly grow Mango in Cyprus, in fact they can often be obtained from the Forestry Dept fruit tree nursery up near Athalassa Park in Nicosia. Actually I tend to get most of my plants, and certainly any that may take a bit of sourcing from Yiannos Orphanos. I currently have a couple of very small Mango trees establishing. I do have one that produces that I grew from a stone that a Jamaican friend gave me. The books all say that trees grown this way take 7 years to produce and the fruit tastes like turpentine. My stone germinated, grew steadily to about 2 metres and then went into suspended animation for 2 years. When it woke up again it produced 2 fruit about 7/8 years after sowing. The following year we had 27. As for the taste, I've never been tempted to sample turpentine but I'm sure it doesn't taste as good as they did. I did write an article for the Journal about this but I can't remember which edition it was printed in!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 02:20:38 PM »
I found some references to an article in the MGS journal by using the search function at the MGS website, which resulted in this info: mango: 9 9; 26 51; 42 51, 52, 61; 55 50,

By looking at the content of the four isues (9, 26, 42 and 55), I found in number 42 (from October 2005) an article called A Matter of Taste by John Joynes, could it be this one?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 02:58:50 PM »
Spot on, Jorun, well done. That's the one.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

HansA

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 10:36:16 AM »
Here two larger trees which were planted last year - the colour of new leaves vary in both plants - so I suppose they belong to two different kultivars.
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 12:27:49 PM »
Thank you guys!
Mike

Joannis

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 02:56:50 PM »
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 01:51:54 PM by Joannis »
Establishing a fruit orchard in ayios georgios kaukallou able to withstand intense sunlight at 500m, arid conditions (350mm) and poor soil , with the help of multipurpose trees and their symbioses.