In Garden Centre, Paphos [later IDd by Oron as Megaskepasma erythrochlamys]

• 3 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Found in Anniva Garden Centre, Paphos, 6oct11.
This forms quite a large plant somewhat of the stature and twig-nature of a Hydrangea; the largest one was about 2.2m tall. The interest is in the reddish bracts, of course. But note the flower in the first piccy.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:39:35 PM by Alisdair »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: seen in Anniva Garden Centre, Paphos, 6oct11
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 08:04:43 AM »
Megaskepasma erythrochlamys or Brasilian Plume, Acanthaceae.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 08:08:46 AM »
Excellent, thanks as usual, Oron!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 03:17:51 PM »
Thanks for posting this Mike, and Oron, it gives me an option I hadn't considered for one of my 'mystery plants'. This particular one I bought as a small plant after the seller described the flowers, although she didn't know its name (nothing new there, I once had the staff of a 'garden centre' trying to persuade me that an Asteriscus was a Russellia!). My first reaction was that it was some kind of Justicia and I was waiting for it to flower to help with identification. However, from the description I was given of the flowers this could be a definite candidate (I see that one of its common names is Red justicia so if it does prove to be it maybe I won't have been so far out!). Anyway, I'll now await its flowering with even greater impatience and eager anticipation.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)