Plumbago auriculata

• 17 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Plumbago auriculata
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 03:49:29 PM »
Following Umbrian's suggestion, we have split off the discussion following Mike's helpful comments about winter protection to a new topic in General Cultivation, which you can see by clicking here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Daisy

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »
I love Plumbago capensis too.
I laughed at Fleur's post about the flowers clinging to one's hair and clothes. All during it's flowering period, I find myself sitting in my bath with little blue flowers floating on the water's surface. ;D ;D ;D
Here is mine growing with Solanum rantonnetii.
Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 12:35:05 PM »
Just looking back at some of the discussion points in this thread I noticed there was some discussion around the hardiness of the plant. Both my blue and white forms have pulled through after a week of very cold weather in January. They were both stripped of leaves and the exposed twigs on the blue form were killed off. Plumbago indica pulled through in a pot kept in a little plastic green house.

Daisy includes a photo of Plumbago capensis alongside Solanum rantonnetii. My Solanum r. was similarly burnt by the frost and ice and it too has come back. But so far no flowers, only leaves.

For the record, night time temperatures were below 0°C for around 10 days and reached -6°C several nights in the early hours of the morning. Daytime temperatures were around 2/3°C. Pretty low for Rome.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.