Autumn colour

• 67 Replies

Charithea

Re: Autumn colour
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2020, 12:25:05 PM »
They look lovely Fermi. Autumnal colour is not something we see much of these days. We need to go up the mountains to see some colour change but nothing spectacular.  Your photos brought to mind the English country side. Spring time by the river side, railway lines full of flowers, blackberry picking to make apple and blackberry pies in the summer.  The  Cyprus government is relaxing the staying home rule so we hope to go and look for wild flowers.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2020, 12:28:13 PM »
Thanks, Charithea.
The change of the seasons is one of the things I would miss if we moved to somewhere like Queensland (where we both have family).
Here are some of the Ash trees in full autumn regalia and fallen leaves under the Claret Ash
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Charithea

« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2020, 02:26:46 PM »
Fermi I can only say'Glorious colours'.  We experienced a few Autumn colour changes while living in Hereford a long time ago but I don't  remember them being so vivid.  Thank you and keep the photos coming.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2020, 11:34:59 AM »
Thanks again, Charithea.
Here's the Medlar in autumn colour and fruit! Now if we can just find the motivation to collect, blet and process the fruit to made Medlar paste!
cheers
fermi

John J

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2020, 12:20:16 PM »
Our medlar is just coming into flower.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Charithea

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2020, 02:59:32 PM »
Fermi I replied to this post earlier but after spell checking it I lost it. So I decided to try again.As you see from the photo above we have a medlar tree too.  I learnt to eat them when I was a child because my mother ate them when they were bletted. As for making things out of them I have not heard anybody using them as the basic ingredient but I have some resourceful  friends in Sardegna that make liqueur from most things. I got recipes from them  so perhaps I should ask their opinion.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2020, 03:11:58 PM »
Hi Charithea,
I'd love to know what they say! I have friends that make a fruit paste/cheese from Medlar fruit but a liqueur might be more interesting ;D

This was at one stage Cydonia sinensis but Plants of the World Online say it's back to Pseudocydonia sinensis. Another fruit that we don't usually get to eat due to the parrots  but apparently can be stewed like other quinces or made into jelly or paste
cheers
fermi

John J

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2020, 06:04:27 AM »
I know it is not autumn here in the Med and we don't get much colour at that time of year anyway, but we do get a display from our Euphorbia dendroides as it shuts down for the summer.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)