Autumn colour

• 67 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Autumn colour
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2011, 04:55:29 PM »
John - I have the impression M. alba does more of a cream thing, but that's largely based on a bonsai I used to grow in the UK. I have certainly seen some solid yellow-coloured M. trees round about Cyprus, but I have not stopped to identify the species.

Pistacia's are continuing to colour-up here. Photo 1.
And Platanus are adding to the palette down in the valley, contrasting with the rich green of the citrus groves. Photo 2.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:29:45 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2011, 05:45:08 PM »
Round us in Greece the white mulberry just looks drab and sere as leaf fall approaches - some of the people who grow it for shade give it its severe annual pruning just before autumn, but that's perhaps more for convenience than aesthetics.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2013, 10:03:10 PM »
It’s a long time since anybody commented on autumn colours,  we visited the Holomonda mountains yesterday; I have a couple of photos which show that the colours are changing here as well. Maybe not as spectacular as in more northern climates, but quite nice.

These are taken at around 1000 m above sea level, in the first one, mount Athos can be seen in the haze in the background.

Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Pumpkins
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2013, 09:31:17 AM »
Nice, Jorun! Down in the Peloponnese at that sort of height those colours don't usually come in until around the turn of the year.
Here's an alternative sort of autumn colour - part of our pumpkin and winter squash crop this year. We put them out like this for people to see as they pass down our lane, and on the last weekend in October with our neighbour (who also grows them) we have a roadside charity stall to sell some of them.
The second little group chatting together are Blue Hubbard, Green Hubbard and Red Hubbard:
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alice

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2013, 05:37:42 PM »
For a moment, Alisdair, I thought your impressive stack of pumpkins was grown in the Peloponnese - until I saw the telltale sign of the wet paving...
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2013, 06:03:39 PM »
Well spotted, Alice: at least it brings a welcome spot of mediterranean colour into our soggy autumn Sussex  ;)
Alisdair Aird

JTh

• Email
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2013, 06:19:58 PM »
A nice display, Alisdair, I was surprised at first as well, understanding that this was in the Peloponnese.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2013, 08:00:33 AM »
Three subjects that give autumn colour and that I find very useful and rewarding in the garden are Hydrangea quercilfolia, Ceratostigma plumbaginoides and Viti vinifera "Purpurea". The Hydrangea appreciates  some summer shade to prevent the beautifully shaped leaves becoming prematurely withered and merely going brown. The Ceratostigma is undemanding and its bright blue flowers provide a splash of fresh colour later in the summer when other subjects are getting tired following up with some subtle autumn colour. The Vitis is rewarding from spring to autumn with the added bonus of plentiful, if small ,grapes. In early spring the beautifully shaped young leaves are downy in texture and a smokey grey/green in colour. These mature to a mid green and then colour magnificently in late summer/early autumn ranging from fiery red, through deep maroon and purple. Unfortunately I was too late to photograph mine this year but am posting 'photos of the other two.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2013, 08:03:22 AM »
Seems as if my 'photos did not attach themselves  :( - will have another try :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2013, 08:01:59 AM »
Near Iliokastro, Argolida, Greece
A vineyard
A freshly ploughed field
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

hughjackman

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2014, 07:09:37 PM »
Could the lack of colour be due to the very short winter experienced around the Med? Autumn has hardly finished before signs of spring are eagerly appearing.

andy
Andy, gardener, birdwatcher & photographer

John J

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2015, 06:56:47 AM »
On the way back from the MGS AGM in Ischia we stopped off to visit a friend outside Rome and she took us to the garden of an Italian Architetto, Marco Mariani. This tree stood out from the rest with its brilliant autumn colours. For more about Marco see www.marcomarianiarchitetto.it.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2016, 08:30:03 AM »
last weekend in Sparta I had the chance to see these two trees with their autumn colour

Broussonetia papyrifera and Koelreuteria paniculata
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2020, 03:29:10 AM »
This has been a good year for autumn colour. Here's some of the Chinese Pistachio in the garden
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2020, 04:23:25 PM »
Washington Thorn, Crataegus phaenopyrum, in autumn colour - unfortunately no berries as the birds finish them off before they even turn red!  >:(
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!