Lilies

• 47 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: West coast American lilies
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 07:24:10 AM »
Trevor, I think that goes to show what an exceptional plantsman you are! (And also how rather special your Adelaide Hills climate is....) All those west coast lilies need water going into summer - Lilium pitkinense in the wild is actually confined to one small marsh! But having said that, most of them do tolerate winter rains even though that's their natural dormant period (Lilium humboldtii is a marked exception, needing it dry then). And if you are prepared to give some summer water L. pardalinum can make a fine show.

Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
Re: Lilies
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 08:37:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure L. martagon uses less than five to six years in my garden in Norway to flower. I have plenty of little seedlings I'll try to transplant into my garden in Greece in the autum, I have a few shady areas. It won't be a disaster if I don't succeed, but it is worth a try.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Martagon lilies
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 07:11:26 AM »
If martagons take less than five to six years in your garden, Jorun, I think that shows how much the (highly un-Mediterranean) climate of Norway suits them! Five to six years is pretty typical in Western Europe, and what I find myself. In his "Lilies" book, Patrick Synge says "usually taking 5-7 years before flowering"; Woodcock & Coutts say "seedlings take so long to flower, sometimes seven or eight years, that those who desire to increase it should do so by scales or offsets from the bulbs". A long time to wait (especially compared to those lilies such as L. formosanum and L. longiflorum which can sometimes be persuaded to flower within their first year) - but well worth the wait.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Daisy

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 08:41:13 AM »
My Lilium Acapulco has simply not turned up this year. :(
http://www.mgsforum.org/smf/index.php?topic=670.0
For the last two years they have grown and flowered splendidly.
I have no idea why there is absolutely no sign of them this year.
My Lilium Stargazer, which are under the apricot tree with them, have grown and flowered without any problem.
Can anyone suggest a reliable, pink, scented lily I can replace them with?
Thanks Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: pink lilies
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 11:57:45 AM »
You could try 'Le Rêve', a popular fragrant oriental hybrid (sometime sold as La Rêve, and originally registered under the name Joy). The best widely available fragrant pink trumpet is 'Pink Perfection', but it is a bit variable - as I think all the named hybrid trumpets are.
Alisdair Aird

Daisy

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 07:26:28 AM »
Thank-you Alisdair, Le Reve looks perfect. It is certainly worth trying.
I have read that the longiflorum asiatic hybrids also do well in warm climates. Richard Hyde has some lovely ones on his website. I would love to try lots of different ones, if it wasn't for the carriage costs. >:(
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 09:26:50 AM »
Do try at least some of Richard's lilies, Daisy; he does grow them so well. Also his lilies are all firmly aimed at gardeners, so tend to be scented and "good doers".
Alisdair Aird

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »
Thank-you Alisdair, Le Reve looks perfect. It is certainly worth trying.
I have read that the longiflorum asiatic hybrids also do well in warm climates. Richard Hyde has some lovely ones on his website. I would love to try lots of different ones, if it wasn't for the carriage costs. >:(
Daisy,
we've found the LA hybrids quite happy here in our "almost" Mediterranean climate,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Daisy

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 05:23:32 AM »
They are lovely Fermi.
I have left it a bit too late for this year, but I shall certainly try some next year.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 12:43:22 PM »
Daisy,
They seem to be quite worthwhile.
We do alright with some of the Orient-Pets (Oriental x Trumpets) as well, as long as the summer heat isn't too strong early in the season and we can supply enough water to them! Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics later in the summer.

Here's another LA hybrid - 'Royal Trinity' a pale orange/pale apricot which does well here,
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 07:58:36 AM »
I think this is the Asiatic lilium 'Tresor',
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 02:04:28 PM »
Another Asiatic lilium, 'Red Velvet'
A species, Lilium leichtlinii x 2
Orient-pet Lilium 'Saltarello'
Lilium 'Triumphator' x 2
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:14:29 PM by Fermi »

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 07:41:37 AM »
Two of the Orient-pets now in bloom; the first is flowering for the first time from a bulb bought in winter and the second has been in the garden at least 3 years and seems to be improving each year,
Lilium Saltarello
Lilium Silk Road x 2
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:15:27 PM by Fermi »

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Lilium leichtlinii
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 10:19:24 AM »
Really nice to see those, Fermi; thanks! For those who don't know it, it's worth pointing out that Triumphator is very aptly named, in the sense that its enormous flowers really stand out - particularly because of their size - in any display that includes other lilies.
Do your L. leichtlinii set fertile seed? I ask, because the Dutch have recently been distributing this attractive yellow (rather than orange) variety in very large numbers, but because their plants have been micropropagated from a single clone they don't set seed unless pollinated by a different lily. However, there are fertile stocks around, grown from seed rather than from the Dutch supplies.
Alisdair Aird

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 02:09:19 PM »
Hi Alisdair,
It's the Lilium leichtlinii's first year so I don't know if it will set seed but I might self pollinate a flower or two to see if it does!
cheers
fermi