Orchis purpurea

• 4 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Orchis purpurea
« on: April 10, 2014, 06:30:06 AM »
Not quite sure where to post this but this seemed as good a place as any..
Having come to gardening through a love of wild flowers encouraged by my mother's interest I am always happy to encourage and include suitable subjects in my garden. On coming to live in Italy I was amazed at the many different orchids that grow in our area and have been delighted when the occasional one has honoured me by appearing in the garden. Several years ago I spotted a single Orchis purpurea growing under a large Bay laurel but in subsequent years it did not re- appear. This spring however I am delighted to report that there are six plants growing in the same area that has been left undistrurbed.
Careful maintenance of the field where we planted an Olive grove, cutting the grass only at suitable times for encouraging the spread of wild flowers, has also rewarded me with my first orchid in this area - this time what I believe to be a Green Winged Orchid. Am having trouble with posting 'photos at the moment ( thought I had mastered it having successfully posted one from my iPad but apparently not!) but will persevere and hope to post a 'photo of the Orchis purpurea when they come into flower. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

gertrude

Re: Orchis purpurea
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »
Last year we counted 50 orchid purpurea on our patch and this year we note that there are many more.  The land is obviously covered with them and since it is no longer farmed they keep popping up everywhere to our great joy.  Our only problem is protecting them from the local sheep which wonder willy nilly across the land.    A neighbour close by has bee orchids all over his patch and he carefully protects them also.
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 06:23:05 PM »
Nice to know that there are people who cherish our native wild flowers especially those that seems to be disappearing from the threat of modern farming (flowers that is!) Also good to hear that some species are able to regenerate once the land is no longer farmed. When I was a child, ironstone quarrying was rife in our area but once the quarrying stopped, bee orchids recolonized the abandoned workings and a favourite walk was to go to "the pits" as we called them to find these flowers. Many other flowers also made an appearance as the years went by. Next time I visit the UK I must try to revisit this area......although I suppose it will be a modern housing estate by now. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 10:56:43 AM »
My little patch of Lady Orchids in the garden is growing each year. This year I had eight plants, four of which flowered.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:49:43 PM by Alisdair »

Umbrian

• Email
Orchis purpurea again
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 07:34:23 AM »
My little colony of Orchis purpurea is spreading well. From a solitary plant a few years ago I now have upwards of twenty spread over quite a large area. It is about twenty years since the land around our house was farmed and I am pleased that my mainly "green" approach is beginning to reap rewards.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:10:12 PM by Fleur Pavlidis »