Lilies

• 47 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Lilies
« on: September 29, 2011, 01:56:05 PM »
The only truly mediterranean lily species is the Madonna lily, Lilium candidum – mediterranean in the sense that it is adapted to keep more or less in growth through the winter, with a basal rosette of leaves that emerge in the autumn, then sending up its flowering stem as things warm up in the spring, and dying back to dormancy in the heat of summer. But there are other species which grow around the Mediterranean. They manage to put up with the climate though their dormant period is the winter – so they tend in the wild to be confined to cooler places, in the mountains, like the red turkscap lily of the Alps, Lilium pomponium.
Some of these are worth trying at lower altitudes, so long as they can be kept in growth as long as possible during the spring and early summer, which means giving them cool shade and moisture.
Lilium pyrenaicum, from the eastern Pyrenees and one or two other parts of France and Spain, is one of the earliest lilies to come into flower, and therefore has a good chance of finishing its growth cycle before the hottest times:
[attachthumb=1]
Lilium bosniacum grows in the Balkans, and has flowers of a rather more orange shade than the purer yellow of L. pyrenaicum, or of the otherwise very similar if taller L. jankae. Until recently these were all thought to be variants of one widespread mountain species, and may well one day be reclassified as that, but are all currently recognised as separate species. Here is L. bosniacum:
[attachthumb=2]
My own favourite among the Mediterranean lilies is the striking scarlet Lilium chalcedonicum, which grows in many parts of Greece, and is also found in Albania. As in the other pictures, this plant was grown from seed – always the best way of avoiding virus diseases, which are the lily-grower’s plague:
[attachthumb=3]
Recently I have been intrigued by the behaviour of an utterly non-mediterranean lily, Lilium bakerianum var. rubrum. It comes from quite high but rarely very frosty forested parts of Yunnan and Guizhou in China, and does not come into growth until the monsoon rains sweep past. In cultivation, it echoes this behaviour, not growing until watered, then shooting up unusually quickly to flower. Also, at the moment (late September) I have a couple of pots of seedlings of it which seem at a very similar stage of active growth as seedlings of L. candidum, whereas almost all other lily seedlings are by now long dormant. I’m sure it needs a rather humid atmosphere while growing, but even so I’m really tempted to try this in Greece, as it is such an exotic-looking plant:
[attachthumb=4]
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
Re: Lilies
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 09:16:29 PM »
Wonderfull all of them, Alisdair, just today I saw some lily bulbs for sale and I wondered how they would behave here without a lot of watering. Of course, those offered where none of the ones you mention, from where did you get your seeds? There are not many lilies on the MGS seed list, actually only one.
L. martagon is said to be widespread in the Balkans,  they grow like mad in my garden in Norway, how would they behave here in Greece? I gathered a few seeds just before I came here and spread them around in my garden in Halkidiki, do they have a chance at all?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 07:48:31 AM »
A chance, Jorun, but perhaps not a very high one, as L. martagon in the Balkans is certainly a plant of the coolest areas, and elsewhere in Europe is commonest in rather cool areas - it naturalises well here in the UK, for instance. Perhaps even worth trying in Norway!
You can get martagons from white through pink or red to deep purple. Here's one selected from L. martagon var. cattaniae that's near-black, and now comes pretty true from seed. Fairly disease-resistant, too (this particular plant is now 23 years old).
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 08:04:40 AM »
The seeds I brought with me were from Norway, they grow very easily there and spreads more than I need.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 11:11:14 PM »
I was at Spetchley Park this summer with the RHS at an herbaceous day! In the grounds there are quantities of naturalised L. martagon (1st picture) and L. monadelphum (2nd picture).
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 07:35:19 AM »
The smell of all those massed monadelphums must have been pretty overpowering! I find even one rather unpleasant.
Alisdair Aird

John

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 07:45:10 AM »
Yes but it doesn't seem to bother me. For years I have endured Arum pictum flowering in the greenhouse which goes on for 2 or 3 weeks and now it doesn't bother me. One scent that can bother me is that of some of the hybrid oriental lilies as it can be overpoweringly strong in a confined space!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Lilium kesselringianum
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 08:47:57 AM »
For people (like me) that the monadelphum/szovitsianum does bother, another species in that same group well worth trying is Lilium kesselringianum, very similar, but with a more "regular lily" scent, and not too strong: 
Alisdair Aird

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Lilium ledebourii
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 08:51:43 AM »
And again in that same group, Lilium ledebourii (from the Elburz mountains between Iran and Russia) has a - to me - delightful scent, the usual lily fragrance with a hint of lemon to sharpen it. Also, its creamy colour contrasting with the reddish pollen I think is much nicer than the others in this group:
Alisdair Aird

Umbrian

• Email
Lilium regale
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 06:40:38 AM »
I have a pot of Lilium regale that are in flower now and have grown exceptionally tall this year. They have been in the pot for 4/5 years and I think it is time to re-pot them. In the spring, when they started into growth, I noticed lots of smaller plants presumably coming from offset bulbils and so re-potting would seve a double purpose, give the older bulbs more space and hopefully increase my collection. When is the best time to do this?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 07:42:32 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Lilium regale
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 07:48:14 AM »
Best time for repotting or replanting lilies is when all growth has died down. The classic recommendation is October. Always be careful, though, as many lilies continue to have some root activity into the autumn even though the stems have died back, so try not to damage any active or reasonably plump roots.
Alisdair Aird

Daisy

Re: Lilium regale
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 09:37:33 AM »
I envy you your Lilium regale Umbrian.
I had a few which flowered last year, so I thought I would try a few more.
However, the original ones, only put up a few leaves and a visitor managed to break the newly planted ones, whilst reaching for apricots. :'( :'( :'(
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

JTh

• Email
Lilium martagon
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 01:17:37 PM »
Lilium martagon seems to grow naturally in many parts of mainland/northern Greece; have any of you any experience with this in your garden? I have lots of them in my garden in Oslo, I got one plant may years ago from a friend and now it grows more or less everywhere, producing lots of seedlings which I wonder if I may have any success with in Halkidiki, Greece. Or maybe it would be better to start them from seeds?

The flowers stayed pink/mauve for many years, but lately they seem to have mutated, so many of them are pure white, they are really beautiful. It would be ideal to have lilies which produce flowers in July-August, like these, although I suppose they would like to get some water. They grow very tall here, almost competing with the Eremurus robustus seen in the background of the first photo.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:21:08 PM by JTh »

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Lilium martagon
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 03:11:47 PM »
Of all lily species Lilium martagon is among the very best for your cold Norwegian garden, Jorun - but much less suitable for a typical mild-winter dry-summer mediterranean garden. Although in the wild its very wide distribution extends as far as Spain, France, Italy and Greece, there it is found only in the higher mountains, where conditions better suit its spring/summer natural growing cycle. If you are determined to try it in Greece, keep it in deep shade and keep it moist well into summer. And if you try it from seed, reckon on a wait of five to seven years before it flowers - I find it one of the slowest of all lilies from seed.
Alisdair Aird

Trevor Australis

Re: Lilium martagon
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 11:11:02 PM »
I've grown the white Martagon here in the Adelaide Hills in a partly shady spot with occasional summer irrigation. So far it seems OK after 4 yrs  tho' it hasn't grown really tall yet. I'm tempted to try some of the interspecific hybrids on offer here such as 'Marharan'. I'm also growing several of the West Coast US martagon type species - pardalinum, pitkinense etc.  tn
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.