Clerodendrum IDd as Clerodendrum chinense

• 5 Replies

Cali

Clerodendrum IDd as Clerodendrum chinense
« on: June 21, 2011, 10:27:29 AM »
I've had bad luck with Clerodendrums. They up and die without warning after a year or so. This most recent one I've kept in a pot for greater protection. It was a present from a friend who grew it from a cutting. He calls it a "fouli" which is the Greek name for Jasminum sambac, which of course it isn't. I'm certain it's a Clerodendrum but less certain what kind. My guess is "philippinum." Does anyone have a better idea?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:39:09 PM by Alisdair »
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President
Gardens in Corfu, Greece.

Cali

Re: Clerodendrum
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:29:06 AM »
Ooops, I messed up with the pictures. There were two--here's the other
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:26:31 PM »
Nice pictures, Cali; it does look like C. philippinum - which currently is reckoned to be a synonym of Clerodendrum chinense.
You say you haven't had much luck with them. I can't say I have as we have scarcely tried any, but in general the tropical and sub-tropical species would probably find conditions rather too dry in even a sheltered Corfu garden. They also dislike being transplanted unless as really small plants.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Cali

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 04:49:53 AM »
Thank you for the synonym--it's not mentioned in the RHS index. My original plant, the one which died, was given to me by Caroline, grown from a cutting from her large one which grew in the ground in her old garden outside Athens. She subsequently moved it to a pot for her town house, where it's ok but not doing as well. I assumed a protected semi-shady corner of the garden would suit it, and it seemed to be doing well till it suddenly died (during a perticularly wet autumn).... I think I'll keep this one in a pot.
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 04:57:35 PM »
Cali - just for future reference if you omit one or more photos from a posting...

If you 'Modify' your post, and click 'Additional options...', you will see your existing images listed.
You can untick any of them to delete them.
And/or 'Attach' others in the normal way.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

ezeiza

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 04:09:06 PM »
Difficult to have it die. Perhaps too little watering during its spring/summer main season? The fragrance is heavenly. Another easy quite hardy (deciduous) one is C. bungei (foetidum).