Crocus

• 67 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Crocus
« on: September 27, 2011, 07:06:38 PM »
For John Fielding's photo of autumn-flowering Crocus cambessedesii click here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
Re: Crocus
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 10:24:01 PM »
One of my favourite autumn flowerings bulbs is Crocus pulchellus, a small crocus which I have often seen in the Holomondas,  a  small mountain range in Central Halkidiki not far from our place. It is a  native of this part of the Balkans, it is pale lilac with darker veins and it has three snow-white and three orange anthers, the latter are split in threads and are quite impressive.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 08:20:49 AM »
Lovely pictures, Mike, and all excellent for mediterranean-climate gardens - thanks!
For people who don't know it, a striking thing about C. goulimyi is its shape, like an unusually long-stemmed wine goblet:
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Hilary

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 04:27:16 PM »
Seen on Taygetus near Arna at the end of October 2010
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 06:37:35 PM »
Crocus boryi, Hilary.
Alisdair Aird

Hilary

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 07:23:26 PM »
I had thought it might be Crocus laevigatus.
The book I have says that Crocus boryi is on Crete
We saw this in the south  Peloponnese
MGS member

JTh

• Email
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 07:32:41 PM »
I found some Crocus sativus bulbs in Thessalloniki the other day and just had to buy some. I am looking forward to seeing how they'll be doing here, maybe I will be able to show some photos on this forum next year ?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 07:58:05 AM »
Hilary, Crocus boryi is very widespread in the Peloponnese, certainly the commonest crocus at low to medium altitudes in our part.
Alisdair Aird

Hilary

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 09:13:41 AM »
Thanks, I will write a little note in the book I have
MGS member

John

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 11:23:34 AM »
C. boryi is relatively rare on Crete and mostly restricted to the far eastern end at low altitudes. It doesn't occur in the west of the island. Or should I say it has never been found there!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 01:41:53 PM »
I have never seen it around here.