Crocus

• 67 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Crocus
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2011, 04:16:50 PM »
Golly!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 09:45:39 PM »
Janis Ruksans book "Crocuses - a complete guide to the genus" has been reviewed in 'The Alpine Gardener', Dec11, pp.455-457; and in 'The Garden', Sep11, p.579.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 08:48:54 AM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Crocus sieberi
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2012, 04:07:52 PM »
Prompted by John's posting about Crocus sieberi flowering in London now, here is a photo taken just now of one which has just opened here in Sussex.
The next two photos, also Crocus sieberi, were taken in the Peloponnese a few years ago, in March, up by the snow melt - the bottom one includes a robust white form, which you do see occasionally there.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 04:12:24 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Ina

• Email
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 12:33:06 PM »
As here one can see many crocuses I think that a C. veluchensis could be added too.(well anyway I hope it is C. veluchensis)
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.

John

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »
Hi Ina, was the bicolouring typical or just the selected flower you photographed?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Ina

• Email
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 06:58:56 PM »
Hi John, there as far as I remember there were a few with this colour but most of them looked like the following ones. I will have to find the CD I have saved the pictures in and maybe I have some more there that could be of some help.
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.

John

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 07:26:08 PM »
I said that the C. suaveolens had finished flowering already and indeed most have but this seedling has just flowered and has quirky petals which have some sepal markings in them. This may of course not be a stable feature!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Ina

• Email
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 07:45:19 PM »
wonderfull picture John!!
I roamed through my pictures and I only saw a few of those with the two coloured petals. the rest are as the ones in the second picture I posted. What do you reckon?

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2012, 08:59:35 PM »
this topic continues not to disappoint with its photos!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2012, 10:51:21 PM »
Ina, I think your bicoloured C. veluchensis is very attractive and well coloured. Many Crocus produce distinct forms amongst the more typical ones. I remember seeing a lovely range of C. sieberi on Mount Helmos in the north of the Peloponnese, where Alisdair went. There were a few albinos and others quite like the cultivar 'Tricolor' occasionally with even more banding.
John

Ina

• Email
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2012, 08:54:42 AM »
I have also seen some C. sieberi in Mt Chelmos and many of them were close to the observatory. Unfortunatelly I don't remember seeing any albinos  :( ...Have a nice day!!!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 10:02:25 AM »
John, The pictures I posted of Crocus sieberi including a white form were actually from the south of the Peloponnese, in the outer Mani.
Alisdair Aird

John

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 10:06:56 AM »
So there are white forms of subsp. nivalis. Were there many?
John

John

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2012, 10:09:42 AM »
Alisdair regarding 7501 taken in the UK was that the colour of is it just too blue?
John

Melvyn

• Email
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2012, 10:26:32 PM »
More C.sieberi images from Mt Helmos