Big plastic expanding mesh, to stabilize soil slopes and help planting there

• 0 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
I saw this on a steep soil bank near Geneva, and would like to get some for myself.

You know how 'expamet' is made - slots cut in a sheet of metal then the metal is stretched and, hey presto, the slots become rhombuses (rhombi?), forming a sheet of metal mesh. This horticultural mesh is on a similar principle: strips of plastic welded together every so often, alternate strips staggered; then pulled apart it forms a mesh - with many pockets ideal for planting in once the sheet has been laid (and pegged) on a slope. The 'walls' of the pockets lean away from the slope at 90 degrees, which obviously helps rain/watering get to the plants and at the same time it mediates water running down the slope, reducing gulleying.

Does anybody know what this material is called and where it can be bought?
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England