Sternbergia

• 31 Replies

Hilary

Re: Autumn in Halkidiki - Sternbergia sp.
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 05:11:53 PM »
Another photo of sternbergia
Seen in a garden In Kastoria, a town in the north of Greece  which has a lot of snow in the winter.
Apparently it is 620 meters above sea level
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John

Re: Autumn in Halkidiki - Sternbergia sp.
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 06:20:20 PM »
This one does look absolutely like typical S. lutea to me.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Sternbergia
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 04:15:54 PM »
For Ori's photo of the tiny Sternbergia colchiciflora, and also S. clusiana among other mouth-watering bulbs in bloom at the moment in Israel, after rains, click here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

fragman

Sternbergia colchiciflora
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 08:14:34 PM »
This is the tiniest sternbergia with the smallest coin in Israel. We found it blooming in Kahal (E. Galilee).
Ori Fragman-Sapir
Jerusalem Botanical Gardens

John

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 08:31:52 PM »
By coincidence I took these two shots yesterday. Again this pot of S. colchiciflora hasn't flowered but gone straight into fruit production. It is bulking up well but rather pointless in my greenhouse!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

fragman

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 08:49:55 AM »
Does anybody know of an identification key for all Sternbergias ? i remember someone German eho wrote one, but that was in German.
Ori Fragman-Sapir

JTh

• Email
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 01:15:25 PM »
I found a key to Sternbergia at http://citesbulbs.myspecies.info/ which I found very interesting, lots of information here, although I have not found out how to use all of it yet. It seems as if there are only 7 recognised species today, thus I found the answer to my question in the first post I had on Sternbergia (are the ones in my area in Halkidiki S. lutea or S. siccula?) in the introduction:
Although most Sternbergia species can be differentiated by discrete taxonomic characters, S. lutea (L.) Ker Gawl. ex Spreng and allies S. siculaTineo ex Guss. and S.greuteriana Kamari & R.Artelari, have been shown to be an exception (Gage & Wilkin, 2008). A recent morphometric study by Gage & Wilkin (2008) has shown that "as a result of the continuous variation shown in leaf width, tube length and perianth segment size and shape, it is not possible to differentiate the three existing species from each other".Therefore, it was suggested that the three taxa above should be regarded as a single species, S. lutea.
So Alisdair's conclusion earlier was confirmed.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:20:59 PM by JTh »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 02:18:47 PM »
This does seem to make sense to me. Although what I think of as typical S. lutea (which is only seemingly introduced on Crete) as a much larger plant and flower than S. sicula I always felt that the Peloponnese plants started to look more like S. lutea but again were quite variable and confused with S. sicula. So presumably throughout their natural distribution there is likely to be clinal variation.
The differences I have noticed between S. sicula and S. greuteriana on Crete also led me to this conclusion with these two i.e. that they are probably two extremes of the same species and some forms I would find difficult to allocate to either!
John

fragman

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2011, 10:39:13 PM »
thank you all
Ori Fragman-Sapir

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 02:04:07 PM »
Wow, I was going to start a new topic but when I found this one with those amazing pics from the wild I thought it would be better to revive this one!
Here are some Sternbergia lutea in flower in our garden, the first three pics are of a clump at the base of a rock garden and the last is under deciduous trees on a raised mound,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 08:26:16 AM »
That's a lovely patch, Fermi - as fresh as if they were on a wild Mediterranean mountain.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fermi

• Email
Re: Sternbergia sicula
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2018, 11:28:36 AM »
Thanks, Alisdair,
they are slowly increasing and have been flowering regularly.
Here are a couple of pics of the first Sternbergia sicula to flower this year.
I hadn't noticed them coming into flower so the second pic is after I cleared away the dead dianthus foliage.
We grew these from seed from Rannweig Wallis in Wales which she said originally came from Crete.
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2018, 12:17:13 PM »
1) Another clump of Sternbergia sicula which is close to the Sternbergia lutea at the base of the rock garden.
2) Some of the seedlings from the Sternbergia lutea are halfway in size (on the right side of the pic) and I wonder if that's because they have crossed or if they are just smaller bulbs
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 07:47:48 AM »
Some more pics of Sternbergia sicula this autumn in various parts of the garden
cheers
fermi

Trevor Australis

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2018, 04:29:26 AM »
I don't know what to think. I have been trying and waiting to get seeds of some of the variants of S. lutea and now that I've got a few seedlings up I am not sure how I feel about my earlier enthusiasm. But I do have one S. candida in its 3rd year and hope for a flower next autumn.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.