Clerodendrum

• 9 Replies

John

Clerodendrum
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:08:50 PM »
Having posted a climbing species here's a lovely shrub which having pinched it out several times this year is now flowering. C. ugandense. With lovely really quite blue flowers. I assume this is grown in the Med. but will need enough moisture?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Clerodendrum
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:28:11 PM »
That's rather nice, John. I've never seen or even thought of Clerodendrum in shades of blue. But of course, having done a Google image search, I see several shades of blue, and blue and white ones as well. Eye opener!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 07:52:09 AM »
Your picture shows how well its flowers have deserved it it's popular name of Butterfly Bush.
I'm leaving this under the Clerodendrum heading, but this appealing plant has recently been reclassified as Rotheca myricoides. (For a reference to the authority, our friend Rafael Govaerts, click here.)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:03:17 AM »
Maybe that explains why I couldn't get it to cross with Clerodendrum trichotomum! I assume Rotheca is in the Lamiaceae too?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 08:18:31 AM »
Yes, Lamiaceae still. I think Dorothy Steane, who did the work at Oxford reclassifying it is now working in Australia.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

Clerodendrum chinense
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 02:05:12 PM »
Mike, remember those cuttings you gave to Thea?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Clerodendrum chinense
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 09:21:45 AM »
Ooo - excellent :)
Thanks for sharing.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 08:38:51 AM »
Another successful cutting, Mike, and the third one also has flower buds. Three out of three, pretty good going!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 09:32:45 AM »
Looks v. healthy, John.
I'm very pleased (and the Salvia discolor you gave me is doing nicely)
Mike

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Clerodendrum x speciosum
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 08:19:47 AM »
For John J's pictures of Clerodendrum x speciosum click here.
Alisdair Aird