Narcissus

• 400 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Narcissus
« Reply #285 on: August 17, 2019, 08:35:26 AM »
Beautiful - and another good memory in the garden.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #286 on: August 17, 2019, 11:18:33 AM »
A dwarf jonquil which we got under a different name but I think it's Narcissus wilkommii
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #287 on: August 18, 2019, 07:32:02 AM »
Lovely- looking so natural coming up between the rocks.
Always think the setting of a plant can add so much to our appreciation. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #288 on: August 19, 2019, 10:37:12 AM »
Fermi, you might be interested in this picture of N. willkommii (which some people claim is N. jonquilla subsp. jonquilloides) which I took one February in one of its few known locations on the banks of a small possibly rather seasonal stream in southern Portugal:
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #289 on: August 20, 2019, 09:22:45 AM »
Hi Alisdair,
This clump couldn't be growing in more different conditions being in the centre of a raised "plateau" in the rock garden mound and doesn't get any supplementary watering
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #290 on: August 20, 2019, 11:31:07 AM »
This is yet another daffodil from Lawrence Trevanion, 'Autumn Jade', which is 'Taztep' x 'Virivest' .
I suspect it's flowering so late because I left planting it a bit late  :-[
cheers
fermi

Hilary

« Reply #291 on: August 26, 2019, 09:27:24 AM »
Four Narcissus
Not home grown I am afraid but seen in the Royal Botanical Gardens, Madrid, April 2018
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #292 on: August 26, 2019, 01:03:13 PM »
Narcissus (Quickstep x N. fernandesii) x N.viridiflorus.
These green daffs were bred by Paul Rumkoff in Victoria who recently sold off his plants as he was embarking on a "bucket trip" across the world. I got two pots of daffs from him and these are the first to bloom.
The first 3 to bloom are quite distinct from each other
cheers
fermi

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #293 on: August 27, 2019, 06:16:57 AM »
Beautiful Fermi - keep posting as it is so refreshing to see these dainty narcissus as we continue to soak up high summer temperatures. 😊

Charithea

« Reply #294 on: August 27, 2019, 07:52:32 AM »
Once more Fermi you have grown more beautiful bulbs.  You are correct in saying that bulbs do well in Med countries but unfortunately not in our garden. We have tried many times with very little success. We make do with the native ones when they are in season. We take long walks to track  them down and photograph them. A young friend of mine , who lives at a slightly higher altitude,  tries growing them every year. She rings me to go and admire them but they are not faring well.  I shall continue to look forward to your photos.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:37:31 AM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #295 on: August 29, 2019, 12:13:30 PM »
We have visitors from the Melbourne  branch of the MGS coming to see our garden on Sunday :o
Hopefully there'll be enough out for them to see!
Here are "Campernelles", Narcissus x odorus in flower now
cheers
fermi

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #296 on: August 30, 2019, 06:37:08 AM »
Sure there will be enough to start some interesting conversations - enjoy, wish I could be there!😊

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #297 on: September 02, 2019, 02:18:06 PM »
Thanks, Carole.
The day went very well and Caroline Davies, the MGS President, was present and said she will post some pics to the MGS Facebook.
Here are some more daffodils:
1 & 2) Narcissus 'Bittern'
3 & 4) Narcissus GB#27-2005 (1-WP) from Keira Bulbs
cheers
fermi

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Fermi's garden
« Reply #298 on: September 03, 2019, 10:23:12 AM »
I've put one of Caroline Davies's pictures, of Fermi's rock garden, on the facebook cover today. You can see it even if you're not a facebook user, by clicking here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #299 on: September 04, 2019, 07:11:50 AM »
What a beautiful garden Fermi - so glad Alisdair posted the photo on Facebook in an accessible way for those of us who don't use it! ( Thank you Alisdair :))
I envy you the Euphorbia, apparently crosses between two of my favourites. Shall be looking at mine closely from now on in hopes.
Keep up the good work and keep posting 😊