Narcissus

• 400 Replies

Fermi

• Email
Re: Narcissus
« Reply #195 on: July 24, 2016, 01:29:02 PM »
Not the best specimen but the only spike this year on the tazetta Narcissus 'Omri' 8WY
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #196 on: July 29, 2016, 11:16:23 AM »
A few more hoops:
Imersh 10YY from Lawrence Trevanion, Canberra
Ianmon 10WW from Rod Barwick at Glenbrook Bulb Farm, Tasmania
Pilgrim Clay 10 WW from Graham Fleming at Keira Bulbs, Canberra
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2016, 12:51:18 PM »
This is a new narcissus from Keira Bulbs listed as KB-M-12Y-Y-1-03 (N. cordubensis x N. cyclamineus)
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #198 on: August 18, 2016, 01:34:09 PM »
Narcissus triandrus hybrid from Keira Bulbs;
Narcissus Fenben from Glenbrook Bulb Farm,
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #199 on: August 30, 2016, 03:40:02 AM »
Another new one, Narcissus 99-03D (N. 'Gayi' x N. cyclamenius) from Lawrence Trevanion
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #200 on: September 02, 2016, 02:11:04 PM »
This is a little multi-headed daffodil I got as Narcissus tazetta bertolini, very sweet,
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #201 on: September 03, 2016, 04:27:18 AM »
This is a new hybrid jonquil from Lawrence Trevanion in Canberra just listed by number: 08-06MJ (Demmo x 0-02J).
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #202 on: September 16, 2016, 02:14:03 PM »
Narcissus 'Bell Song' 7WP
Narcissus 'Fencourt Jewel' 8WP
A N.bulbocodium hybrid from Keira Bulbs 10WY?
Narcissus 'Swagger' 6YY
Narcissus jonquilla hybrids;
Narcissus 'Aotea' 7YO;
Narcissus 'KS-6WP-2-03' from Keira Bulbs;
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #203 on: September 18, 2016, 01:07:27 PM »
This little hybrid jonquilla was raised by Rod Barwick (Glenbrook Bulb Farm, Tasmania) from 'Quickstep' x N. fernandesii;
it opens 7WY and fades to 7WW,
cheers
fermi

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #204 on: September 21, 2016, 06:11:15 PM »
Your lovely narcissus pictures make me really look forward to spring, even though we've nothing like your own beauties. But before then at least we've got the Mediterranean's "autumn spring", all the summer-dormant plants that are thinking of bursting into flower as the days cool and they can at least hope for some rain.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

robarco

« Reply #205 on: November 18, 2016, 09:56:36 PM »
Apologies if discussed elsewhere - this thread is very long! Which large flowered Narcissus (i.e. "Daffodil") - well, as large as possible - grows well and comes back year after year in a warm Med climate - where the "winters" are likely to have daytime averages of around 13-15C in Jan, nighttime perhaps 7C - and that's "cold" - and never freezes? Summer dryness not a problem. I am trying out Thalia and Carlton based on some recommendations but apparently N. pseudonarcissus is one to go for too. I know I said large... but beggars can't be choosers, the only 100% known safe choices here are the indigenous wild growing tazetta, serotinus, and the locally rare elegans, I'd love to grow "proper" Daffodils, or as close to as possible.
My weather: January/Feb "low" average day/night of around 13C/7C (57F/45F), Jul/Aug "high" average day/night of 32C/26C (90F/79F).

600mm rain, in Winter, completely dry Summer.

Mid-Med roof terrace gardening - shrubs, small trees, annuals, bulbs, and native Mediterranean species.

anita

« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2016, 12:42:02 PM »
Robarco,
Refer to  my comments in relation to Tulip species for 'warm' mediterranean climates. I too garden in a warm climate with relatively warm winters, seldom falling below zero degrees Celsius. I have found that I can expect very few of the large trumpet daffs to repeat. I suspect that in the case of the daffs it's more complex than winter chill, there is also an element of time post flowering for bulbs to store carbohydrates and complex starches for the next year. Put another way our spring slides into summer too quickly to allow the bulbs enough time to store food for the next season. I have found that the earliest flowering daffs, here things like Welcome and Robin will persist over a few years but I lose them in years when we get very dry spring weather. I have found the smaller narcissi species which you mentioned do well as well as, strangely, most narcissi species with a little N. cyclamineus blood such as Jetfire (a lot of commercial stock now virused), Tete a Tete and so on. N. February Gold and February Silver are the largest I can get to repeat reliably. Quail and Little Witch also are reliable for me but are smaller flowered species.
I continue to buy a few dozen large flowered early daffs each year so I can enjoy them in late winter. I plant them in plastic pots, put them inside prettier planter pots to admire while blooming then give the bulbs to my brother in law who lives at a slightly higher and cooler elevation, to plant out in the garden as they will relower for him in later years but just present me with healthy leaves.
Dry mediterranean climate, avg annual rainfall 530mm, little or no frost. Winter minimum 1C, summer max 45C

robarco

« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2016, 12:48:28 PM »
Thanks again Anita yes I have previously contemplated the possibility that the temps may cause the leaves to yellow way too soon in Spring. 24C is pretty normal for April. Mine are all in containers so maybe I could try part shading them after they have flowered, to keep them cooler.
My weather: January/Feb "low" average day/night of around 13C/7C (57F/45F), Jul/Aug "high" average day/night of 32C/26C (90F/79F).

600mm rain, in Winter, completely dry Summer.

Mid-Med roof terrace gardening - shrubs, small trees, annuals, bulbs, and native Mediterranean species.

Fermi

• Email
Re: Narcissus 2017
« Reply #208 on: April 14, 2017, 02:34:29 PM »
The first of the autumn daffodils  - this was raised from seed from AGS Seedex 2011 as Narcissus miniatus.
Is it now N. obsoletus? Or something else?
cheers
fermi

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Narcissus miniatus
« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2017, 07:43:33 AM »
Yours does look classic "Narcissus miniatus", Fermi - the orange cup was what people used to distinguish it from the paler forms of N. serotinus. But now that the taxonomists have decided that the orange isn't sufficient to give it species rank, whether your plant falls into the western-Mediterranean N. serotinus or the eastern-Mediterranean N. obsoletus would depend on other factors, I guess!  ???
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society