Narcissus

• 400 Replies

Daisy

Re: Narcissus
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2012, 07:47:46 AM »
None of my Narcissus are rare or unusual, but, they are all beautiful.

Narcissus Tete a Tete, climbing up the new steps.

Narcissus Golden Dawn, just beginning.

Narcissus Avalanche, under the black plum tree.

Narcissus Geranium, in pots, still waiting to be planted.
The ones I planted in the garden last year, are much later to show. They are only just now pushing their buds up, whereas the new ones in pots, have been flowering for weeks already.

Narcissus x odorus, growing through an osteospermum.

Narcissus Sailboat, with Erysium Apricot Twist.

Narcissus Bridal Crown just beginning, with Pansy Padparadja.

This narcissus with a pelargonium and Euphorbia myrsinitis, I planted last autumn.
But I have old age brain death ??? ??? ??? and cannot remember who it is.
I can't even find it from my orders, which I still have.
Any ideas?
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2012, 08:39:11 AM »
Daisy, Your garden is really lovely. Thanks very much for keeping us in touch with it, with all these beautiful pictures!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Casalima

« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2012, 10:13:21 AM »
Lovely flowers and lovely combinations, Daisy!
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2012, 09:54:22 PM »
I'll second that!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2012, 10:22:25 PM »
Yes indeed, me too. I haven't seen any cultivated Narcissus in my travels on Crete though I have seen both the spring flowering and autumn flowering forms of Narcissus tazetta in the wild there. The autumn form grows near Elounda, presumably not far from you.
It looks like most of those you showed have N. tazetta in them. 
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2012, 07:10:22 AM »
John, Do the spring- and autumn-flowering forms of N. tazetta keep to that timing in captivity? In the southern Peloponnese, where the "spring" ones are in flower from early January on, I've wondered whether at least some of them decide when to flower on the basis of weather, so that depending on weather they may be flowering either at the start or at the end of the colder period.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2012, 08:53:22 AM »
Basically yes, with no more than the seasonal variation that you would get with any plant given weather, temperature etc.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Rafa

« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2012, 11:57:23 PM »
what a beautiful garden Daisy, :o.
Here are few narcissi recently bloomed in the garden. The names are not updated to the newest classifications

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2012, 10:06:42 AM »
You are true artist in the garden Daisy! I particularly love the imaginative planting of Tete a Tete either side of the steps. Unfortunately I cannot grow bulbs in my garden, the local Porcupine population regard them as a gourmet meal and search them out wherever I put them. I do try to grow some in pots but last year they even got to some of them even though I placed them on the wall of the loggia! >:(
As Umbrian (Carole) has mentioned the porcupine problem, I think it best to start a new thread under Pests and Diseases, so I'm moving her original message there, and the replies to it. You can find the Porcupines discussion by clicking here.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:14:32 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird

Rafa

« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2012, 09:14:38 PM »
hello friends,

Here are a couple of pictures that I did yesterday evening in north Burgos, Spain. They are Narcissus iohannis and Narcissus bulbocodium subsp. validus.

HansA

« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2012, 10:30:26 PM »
Some very interesting species  Rafa! :o :o
Narcissus iohannis I am specially fascinated - does it grow on limestone?
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

Rafa

« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2012, 10:48:48 PM »
Exactly Hans, dolomitic limestone. It is amazing species, also considered as triandrus var. alejandrei. I saw plants with 1, 2 and 3 flowers per stem. I walk to the top of the mountain to take picturesm but when I was returning to my village, there were also many pants in the border of the road growing in crevices in both margins. But after the curve of this slope , the gravel pit was eating the mountain with the narcissi  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2012, 04:17:57 PM »
Thanks very much for showing us these treasures, Rafa; what a gorgeous plant N. iohannis is, as well as so interesting. Needs saving!!!!
Alisdair Aird

Rafa

« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2012, 08:36:02 PM »
I am not sure about its taxonomic stauts, but the growing conditions are excepcional in this dolomitic mountains, I always see Ganymedes section in acid soil.
There are more localities but this particular one is quite damaged. Since many years I am introducing it through botanical gardens and societies an there is person from Japan that have grown very well. I think he get the seeds through Jim Archibald, may he rest in peace.  I sent him my first collection to make be able ths species would be well distributed, and it is a pleasure to me see the results.

This species hasn't any kind of protection laws, recently I request in a Narcissus article, to protect every single species, if it's common like if it's not common in the nature.

Rafa

« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2012, 10:01:16 PM »
hello again!
Here two recent blooms, considered as hybrid, they are self fertile and creates groups of thousands of plants