Narcissus

• 400 Replies

Derrick

• SimplySpecies
Re: Narcissus
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »
Pic of N. elegans showing clearly the form of the corona. Just noticed a glaring error in my previous post. N. miniatus seems to be much weaker in the EASTERN mediterranean, where I have studied it in Cyprus, Crete, Greece and Turkey. This was named var. ORIENTALIS by Mike Salmon (private correspondence - unpublished). Plants from Spain (Valencia through to Cadiz), particularly at the type locality in Seville are much stronger and robust plants (Var. grandiflorus). I'll try and find a pic from the type locality for a later post.

Rafa

« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2012, 08:28:29 PM »
Thank you Ezeiza, I am just a simple amateur, nothing scientific in my oppinions.
Beautiful pic Derrick.
There is a sentece in the study of this genus that is used frecuently: "it is the normal variability of the the species" it is not wrong, but I think it is used in cases that there are in fact two species involved. It could be the case of N. obosletus/miniatus/deficiens, I don't think so. I admire Mike, he knows better than me this species, but seening in Spain certain localities this is one of the cases that I would say "it is the normal variability of the species". As it probably has a hybrid origin, I suppose in this process of speciation, there were many lineages and tendeces to be more "elegans" or more "serotinus" (if they really were its parents) and I think there is of course another speciation way which is the Darwinian adaptation to the environment conditions. Thinking in this, it is normal such amount of forms varieties etc... maybe is not neccesary to make more diferences, because they are not forms or varieties in a particular geographic regions, it is in the same paopulation that you could see many kind of forms. Otherwise you will have hundreds of forms.

Derrick

• SimplySpecies
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2012, 05:58:32 PM »
Herewith pic of N. miniatus at type locality

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Narcissus tazetta on a cliff
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2012, 06:29:34 PM »
In late January the Saturday market in Kalamata (Greek Peloponnese) was full of people selling big bunches of wild Narcissus tazetta. We saw it flowering here and there - most dramatically, this group that had found a home in the seaside cliffs of the Mani peninsula. In the first picture I've marked them with a square, on the lower right.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2012, 06:39:58 PM »
Wow Alisdair,  its no wonder they dwindle away in my garden,  wet, clay, shade  :)

Rafa

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2012, 09:53:49 PM »
Alisdair, what a beautiful locality of N. tazetta!, and not bad, you have an eagle sight!! Here a couple of pic from this evening

Rafa

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2012, 10:01:09 PM »
a couple species I pictured two weeks ago, a species not identified and N. muñozii-garmendiae.

Rafa

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2012, 10:03:01 PM »
Also I picture the same day Narcissus albicans

Rafa

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2012, 10:09:56 PM »
in the garden, two natural hybrids and one bulbocodium from Morocco, Narcissus jacquemoudii
Narcissus x matritensis = N. triandrus subsp. pallidulus (mother) x N. cantabricus (father)
Narcissus x montielanus= N. blancoi (mother) x N. triandrus subsp. pallidulus (father)

Rafa

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2012, 10:20:34 PM »
other recent blooms.
N. x neocarpetanus nothovar romanensis = N. bulbocodium L. x N. cantabricus DC.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2012, 10:01:27 AM »
Fabulous plants, beautifully shown in your photos, Rafa - thanks very much for treating us to them. Some of the natural hybrids are fascinating, as is that unidentified species with the beautifully marked perianth segments.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Ina

• Email
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2012, 02:40:01 PM »
thank you for the lovely pictures!! now i think that my N. tazetta  looks really plain...
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2012, 04:38:23 PM »
Wonderful, I would love to have some of those
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Rafa

« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2012, 04:51:40 PM »
Thank you!

Alisdair, this bulbocodium is the taller I ever seen 21-22cm scape and 23cm leaves. Two green glossy leaves per bulb, solitary bulbs without vegetative divisions. Nice fragance.

John

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2012, 11:04:35 AM »
At the last RHS show I saw photographic images of the results of breeding with Narcissus viridiflorus. There was one with white segments and a green cup which I thought was lovely and very specie like. I took down the names of N. 'Emerald Sea' which I believe has produced quite a lot of offspring, and 'Sea Dream' x viridflorus.
This was something that I had thought of trying when I grew N. viridiflorus but never got around to.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.