Narcissus

• 400 Replies

John

Re: Narcissus
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2013, 10:24:35 AM »
This was the best site and the most impressive. Most were scattered through scrub
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2013, 05:45:53 AM »
Narcissus obsoletus (was N. serotinus) is the first autumn flowering one for us this year.
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2013, 06:48:17 AM »
Now the Narcissus viridflorus has started - and I didn't save pollen from the N. obsoletus :(
cheers
fermi

Trevor Australis

« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2013, 07:54:31 AM »
Must be time to see what mine are doing. That's a terrific stand. Were they a batch of seedlings or a few bulbs that have multiplied?

Gorging myself admiring Lachenalia viridiflora emerging. Will this be the year for flowers? Hope so.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

John

« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2013, 09:22:19 AM »
Fermi it is a splendid clump of a great favorite of mine. I grew it many years ago with the intention of hybridising from it. I never did manage to but I know of several others that have now. I saw some images of those a Newzealand breeder has produced a couple of years ago and they were impressive. Why is it green and did it evolve from a white species? I know from experience that the scent is fabulous or at least this is my memory. Presumably this is effective enough to attract pollinators. There could be markings not visible to the human eye as well.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:40:15 PM by John »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Narcissus viridiflorus
« Reply #125 on: April 11, 2013, 01:23:10 PM »
Thanks, Fermi, for those pictures of such a terrific stand of this mysterious plant!
(I've sown seed for the first time this year, and your photos are giving me encouragement for the next few years of waiting....)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2013, 04:29:12 AM »
Thanks for your comments, guys,
this clump is from a few bulbs we got from Gordon Julian in Tasmania in 2002! My 3rd attempt at establishing them in the garden. They are planted in a raised bed/rock garden on the south side but still in pretty much full sun.
I try to avoid watering this area over summer and the flowers now come up through the superb little teucrium T. subspinosum which has spread to cover them.
I'm usually too concerned with other things to remember to collect pollen in time to save it for crossing with other daffs - I think other jonquills would be a possibility.
cheers
fermi

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2013, 06:29:14 AM »
I have been reading posts about Narcissus recently since I am now the proud owner of a porcupine free garden and shall be able to indulge my passion for bulbs again . My immediate question is - I recently received a present of some "Hawera" bulbs grown in a tall glass pot with pebbles and water in the bottom - no compost. They are flowering beautifully but I am wondering what to do when the flowers have finished in order to retain the bulbs for planting?  Do I leave them in the glass pot or would they be better transfered to one with compost or even put directly into the ground?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2013, 06:47:47 AM »
I'd plant them out in the garden as soon as the flowers fade. To help the acclimatization/ adjustment process I'd mix some coarse sand and perlite in the soil before transferring the bulbs from the growing jar. Water carefully with a root stimulant such as kelp or seaweed extract and feed lightly with water soluble low nitrogen fertiliser every 2 weeks.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2013, 06:12:27 AM »
Thanks Trevor - will do - at least they will be going into good soil in the new garden unlike here where I battle with stony clay.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Daisy

« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2013, 10:45:22 AM »
I have been enjoying all these photos of narcissus. Thank-you all.
Umbrian, do you now have a new garden?
Please, please, please post some "before" photos.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

John

« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2013, 11:12:35 AM »
Yes a good ideas from Daisy to Umbrian. Difficult with all these names isn't it!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:35:37 PM by John »
John

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2013, 04:12:33 AM »
Here are some narcissus flowering in our garden this morning,
A hybrid "hoop petticoat" - probably one of Glebrook Bulb Farm's "Detective series" 10WW
A Div 6 hybrid - Tracey
Another Div 6 -"Tatiana x N. cyclamineus
and some single and double tazettas 8WY
cheers
fermi

Trevor Australis

« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2013, 07:25:06 AM »
I'm going to be in Uruguay when a new sdlg Narc flowers and am very curious to know what I will miss. The seedlings are those of N. aleajandris? which I've never been able to attach to any image known to me, It looks like it will be a v sm jonquilla type. Any comments most welcome.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Narcissus x alejandrei
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2013, 07:41:01 AM »
Trevor, you can find a good picture of this really lovely narcissus from northern Spain, taken by our forum member Rafa, by clicking here. It is a form of N. triandrus, and the current view seems to be that it is a hybrid of two of the subspecies, named in The Plant List as Narcissus x alejandrei.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society