• Email
Re: Cyclamen
« Reply #300 on: February 23, 2020, 07:14:19 AM »
The first for the year is Cyclamen graecum in the rock garden,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #301 on: February 23, 2020, 11:53:46 AM »
While I was in the UK over Christmas I saw this cyclamen plant in with hundreds of other more typical looking cyclamens. It was labelled as Cyclamen hederifolium. Trying to find which variety on the internet, I came across 'Silver Cloud' but all the photos of that show a more pointed leaf. I have no idea of the flower colour yet and it may not flower at all this year given that the corm is little bigger than a pea. Amazing how a corm that size can produce such big leaves
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #302 on: February 24, 2020, 12:47:48 AM »
I have a Cyclamen coum a metre or less away from a Cyclamen hederifolium. The C coum has been nibbled but the C hederifolium hasn't, apart from one leaf, which has 3 tiny holes. I think I would go for the C coum if I were a snail. It looks much tastier than the C hederifolium, wouldn't you agree?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #303 on: February 25, 2020, 01:10:25 PM »
Another cyclamen in flower today (I'm sure there were no flowers open yesterday!); this Cyclamen rohlfsianum is a couple of weeks ahead of last year
cheers
fermi

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #304 on: February 26, 2020, 09:05:38 AM »
The unusually short petals makes them seem even more pointed - a very pretty effect!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #305 on: February 27, 2020, 11:23:41 AM »
The unusually short petals makes them seem even more pointed - a very pretty effect!
Hi Alisdair,
I haven't grown any other Cyclamen rohlfsianum so didn't realise its petals were particularly short!
Here's the white form of Cyclamen graecum
cheers
fermi

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #306 on: February 28, 2020, 09:25:45 AM »
What's that you've got your Cyclamen graecum growing through, Fermi?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #307 on: February 28, 2020, 11:19:55 AM »
Hi Alisdair

It looks like a plant I have experimented with a couple of times, Dymondia margaretae. I'm not sure why it hasn't taken for me. Maybe because the plants weren't able to settle in before the heat of summer? Or maybe I watered them too much? I might try again as it is sometimes available at plant fairs here in Italy.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #308 on: February 29, 2020, 01:15:57 PM »
David is correct. It's a plant which we have in a couple of places as it does well in our conditions. It's quite a dense ground-cover but allows some bulbs to come through,
cheers
fermi

John J

« Reply #309 on: October 26, 2020, 01:35:29 PM »
Excuse the poor quality photo but this is our first Cyclamen cyprium of the season. Note the distinct 'M' at the base of the petals.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #310 on: August 30, 2021, 06:57:05 AM »
Cyclamen persicum looking like they have settled in
Two years on the Cyclamen persicum are still doing well in a couple of places in the garden under deciduous trees       
cheers
fermi