Nerine

• 31 Replies

Fermi

• Email
Re: Nerine
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2020, 12:28:04 PM »
First flower on a new hybrid using pollen of Nerine rosea on a red Hybrid.
It has the form closer to N. rosea than the N. sarniensis hybrid
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Charithea

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 03:58:51 PM »
How lovely Fermi. Superb colour and delicate shape. Congratulations on your patience.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 12:28:23 PM »
How lovely Fermi. Superb colour and delicate shape. Congratulations on your patience.
Thank you, Charithea. It's got the form of N. rosea and the colour of the seed parent.

Here's another hybrid. This time one I got a few years ago from someone at our garden club.
It's a pale pink hybrid, probably from N. sarniensis,
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 04:08:02 PM »
Nerine filifolia is doing very well this year, nearly a dozen stems!
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 03:45:49 PM »
This is a fairly common nerine and is very popular as it usually is in flower on Mother's Day. It has been known as Nerine flexuosa 'Alba' but apparently it's now included in Nerine undulata.
We moved this clump here 20 years ago from my partner's mum's place after the family home was sold. It was in flower when she died and we each placed a stem of it in her coffin.
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 03:58:25 PM by Fermi »

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2020, 01:17:54 PM »
This pink nerine has flowered for the first time since it was planted many years ago - I'd planted in the shelter of a lavender bush to protect it from frost but it was only when the lavender was removed that it sent up a flower spike!
cheers
fermi

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 07:38:15 AM »
Very pretty - worth waiting for :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 12:06:04 PM »
You took the very words out of my mouth, Carole!  ;)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2021, 01:47:10 PM »
Nerine 'Ariel' is doing much better this year,
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2021, 01:59:39 PM »
Nerine 'Ariel seedling #2' was raised in 1999 and probably from a cross with Nerine rosea.
I'm calling it 'Riversdale Red' because we lived on Riversdale Road when I raised it!
cheers
fermi

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2021, 07:29:40 AM »
Well done Fermi, that is a particularly lovely soft colour😊
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2021, 11:29:40 AM »
Well done Fermi, that is a particularly lovely soft colour😊
Thanks, I'm happy that it's a distinct colour change. The funny story is that I had 2 seedlings from 'Ariel' raised in 1999 this one was labelled "Seedling #2" but I never found the first seedling until last week. Years ago I'd given what I thought was a pot of 'Ariel' to a friend and when we visited her she showed me a potful of what was obviously "Seedling #1"! It's a softer coral colour and so I've told her to re-name her pots 'Riversdale Coral' ;D
cheers
fermi

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2021, 06:52:53 AM »
Glad I'm not the only one who loses labels or gets them mixed up. Salvia cuttings are my downfall and I have been known to pass on wrongly labelled plants sometimes annoying recipients rather than pleasing them 🙄

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2021, 09:57:39 AM »
How could anybody complain about receiving any kind of salvia? Talking of bad/wrong labelling, remember, the one I gave you a few years back labelled only as "purple" is purple-leaved and has pale pink/white flowers. I couldn't recall the name at the time but it is Salvia lyrata 'Purple Knockout'. I think it ended up in a friend's garden but I am sure it would look lovely along the edge of your raised garden where the leaves would  contrast nicely with the stone colour. I have some more if you need them. :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2021, 07:28:46 AM »
Always happy to accommodate Salvias David and hopefully it won't be too long before we can be doing some exchanges.......😊