What is this please? IDd by Oron as Bouvardia x domestica 'Royal Daphne'

• 7 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Again bought in Italy with no label!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:57:18 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

pamela

Re: What is this please?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 05:42:36 PM »
Hi Carole

Cestrum elegans purpurea??
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

pamela

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »
The leaves do look somewhat like Dicliptera suberecta...it might be the same family? I am afraid I don't know Carole but its intriguing........

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 06:41:56 PM »
A bit complicated:

Bouvardia x domestica 'Royal Daphne'
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:10:42 AM »
Many thanks for identification Oron, first class service as always! Perhaps you or somebody could be of further help over this plant? When I bought it it was a short bushy plant that covered the pot and there were several flowering stems with flowers just beginning to open. These did not come to much and I was quite disappointed but the plants grew well, branching from the main stems and produced more flowewring heads that are now open (as in photo) However I can now see that the pot actually contains what are obviously 5 separate rooted cuttings. The single main stem of each of which is now ripe, hard wood to a height of 5cm with long side shoots that are providing the flowers. My question is should I try to re-pot each separate plant? and if so when would be the best time to do it? I suppose it, the pot as it is, or the separated plants if I can do it now, will need winter protection?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 11:43:17 AM »
Carole

What you have  just described is the modern way to produce 'flowering pots';  a few cuttings in a single pot and a massive use of Gibberllins [GAs] which are hormons that give the plants a compact, healthy look than other hormons in order to get many flower heads, sometimes to the point that you can hardly recognize the species...
But the minute the hormons are being stoped the plant turns back to grow as it would grow in nature, often to become much less attractive.

In my experiens Bouvardia x domestica is difficult to maintain over a long period, i dont tell you not to try it but i would treat it more as a summer annual and would grow it anyway in a pot and not in the open garden.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:22:04 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

pamela

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 06:01:09 PM »
I was interested to read Orons information about hormones being used for plant production. When I lived permanently in London several years ago I would buy Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima ) at Christmas.  After Twelfth Night I would abandon it because it always looked a lttle sad by that time and found that there were often 4 or 5 small roots in one pot. At the time I thought it rather strange.  Now, in Spain we have a huge Euphorbia pulcherrima growing outside which gives us much pleasure over Christmas and on into the New Year.  No more pots!!!

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 02:14:49 PM »
Thanks Oron, very interesting and in formative. I will have a go at transplanting at least one or two and see what happens. I have a very nice, friendly local market stall holder who has things such as the Bouvardia for sale and I like to buy from him as he has been very kind to me since we came to live in Italy. I will try to find out where he gets such things from!