rain

• 6 Replies

Hilary

rain
« on: September 20, 2011, 11:41:42 AM »
It's raining, first time since the beginning of June
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: rain
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 11:46:39 AM »
We might be getting some on Thursday.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 02:12:42 PM »
I was in Wales this weekend and it rained there too!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

pamela

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 08:46:45 AM »
Except for 5 measly minutes last Thursday evening we have had absolutely nothing since beginning of May. No summer storms at all which are normal for us in August. 
The ground is frighteningly dry and I look obsessively at the weather report daily hoping to see a change in the weather.   Nothing is forecast for the next weeks. The good thing is there has been virtually no wind and wind here dries the earth alot.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:14:55 AM »
Hi Pamela, our two month drought ended on Sunday and the garden is already recovering, hang on in there!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 03:31:26 PM »
It started raining last night after a long period of drought, now everything just below us is flooded, we measured the rain that had gathered in a bucket to be 130 mm in just a few hours. Continuous lightning and thunder for 15 hours and the sea is crashing, quite impressive.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »
Last night we had our first rain for months; quite a thunderstorm, initially with a lot of lightning striking the sea out in Polis Bay, later moving inland.
By morning, various receptacles showed we had had about an inch overnight. You can almost hear the plants suuuuucking up the moisture.
Lovely and clear today.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England