Re: Butterflies in Cyprus
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 07:54:25 PM »
 Colias hyale
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 02:48:44 PM by Alisdair »

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Leptotes pirithous (Lang's short tailed blue butterfly) larva, on Plumbago
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 11:12:18 AM »
Yes, these critters (~8mm long) eat the Plumbago foliage, but I wouldn't harm them - I'm too fond of the adults, forever flitting around the plumbagos, they are a small but welcome member of the cast of characters inhabiting my garden (and the wider countryside).

Curiously, this species was regarded as a rare, mainly migrant, species in Cyprus. But it is now quite common, at least in the lowlands. It is commonly associated with Plumbago auriculata (syn. P. capensis), and the spread of that plant may have been a significant factor in the expansion of the population of the butterfly. The plants themselves may have acted as vectors, carrying immature stages - rather than adult butterflies roaming far and wide and happening to find the plants, though the latter is likely to have happened to some degree as well.

The butterfly is at the end of this page - http://www.cyprusbutterflies.co.uk/page12.html.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:20:15 AM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
good day for butterflies (after a heavy shower last night)
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 11:19:54 AM »
Today's been the best day for butterflies in quite some while; may be associated with heavy shower last night.
So far today:
swallowtail (1), long tailed blue (2), Lang's short tailed blue (4+), large white (1), eastern bath white (1), hermit (1), pigmy skipper (1, first one I've ever seen; I've now ticked all four Cyprus skippers in my garden), hummingbird hawk moth (2+), and there should be a painted lady about somewhere, and probably some wall browns nearby.
Lifts me spirits, it does:)

Update: two photos added:
- the female Lang's short tailed blue was just emerged and skulking around low in the undergrowth (Aptenia cordifolia) below the Plumbago auriculata; the males had already sussed her out and were flitting around her
- the hermit is of the ssp. larnacarna
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:27:22 AM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 05:05:35 PM »
Please note:

A change to the number of butterfly species recorded for Cyprus ........
The Eastern Pale Clouded Yellow (Colias erate) has been withdrawn as a species for Cyprus. See Pieridae (Colias croceus) and Bibliography (John, E., Coutsis, J. G. & Makris, C. 2006) for details.

However, a further species has been provisionally added to the Cyprus list:
Great Steppe Grayling / Dark Rockbrown (Chazara persephone). See Satyridae and Bibliography (John, E., Haines, D. H. & Haines, H. M. 2010) for details.
This sighting remains subject to confirmation, so any relevant information would be welcomed, please, to: Eddie John

Reference:  John, E., Coutsis, J. G. & Makris, C. 2006.
A review of records for Colias erate (Esper, [1805]) (Lep.: Papilionoidea Pieridae) in Cyprus: were they all yellow forms of Colias croceus (Geoffroy, 1785)? Entomologist’s Gazette 57: 3-12.

Taken from http://www.cyprusbutterflies.co.uk/page7.html.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 05:32:39 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 07:13:40 AM »
Let's remember that this is a plants and gardening forum, folks - so fine to get technical about plants, but for wildlife probably best to keep the seriously technical stuff out  :). Pictures of butterflies on flowers etc are great, also ideas for plants that attract bees and butterflies, but I think that details about checklists etc are best kept to lepidopterists' forums.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society