Acacia dealbata, white mimosa

• 2 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Acacia dealbata, white mimosa
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:40:21 PM »
Well, this one does not seem to have come up for discussion...

I've only just stumbled across my first one in Cyprus (in the garden of a villa I am refurbishing).
In retrospect, it seems a bit surprising that it has taken me 9 years; I would have thought it fairly well suited.

It produces slender suckers, and I have a few in a pot in the hope of them rooting.
There are quite a few empty seedpods, but no seedlings. I might have to see if I can catch a few seeds from the next crop, in due course.

Anyway, here are a few photos.
I did not take a photo of the whole tree, as it is a very sad, damaged specimen.

Anybody else have experience of these in a Mediterranean climate?

Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

JayB

Re: Acacia dealbata, white mimosa
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 12:08:34 PM »
Wattles are a declared invasive here, especially dealbata and it is my understanding that they are not to be sold or propagated in Spain, not sure what it is like in Cyprus though. That said plenty of places do sell them and I do have some seeds leftover in my collection.
They really do grow well here and once established need about zero care.

Starting from seed is probably the most reliable, just give them a 24 hour soak first with some warm water. I have not tried cuttings but may as well give it a go.
I have trouble getting mine past the first year though and recently lost a batch of young ones as they dried out, live and learn.
G'day from an Aussie in Spain. Currently attempting a total garden overhaul.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Acacia dealbata, white mimosa
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 08:41:44 PM »
Thanks Jay,
Good to know.
Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England