Plants with poisonous parts

• 18 Replies

JTh

• Email
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 08:10:28 AM »
I agree that if we should avoid all toxic plants, then there would not be much interesting left for the garden, or in the nature, but accidents do occur. I remember a case in Norway when a horse died from being poisoned by eating oleander! A farmer was tired of her potted oleander and dumpted outside, where the horse found it (it had never been taught to stay away from unknown plants).
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 08:49:03 AM »
admin - may I suggest a new topic/section be started re poisonous/toxic plants,
and postings moved there from this thread...
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Plants with poisonous parts
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 08:14:27 PM »
Like this?
You can look on the MGS website http://www.mediterraneangardensociety.org/poison.html for a list of poisonous and allergenic plants with their effects by Elsbeth Stoiber.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

gggardener

Re: Plants with poisonous parts
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 12:51:54 AM »
I think when you are being paid to suggest plants for a garden there is some responsibility to warn if a plant can cause problems - usually this will not deter a client but hopefully help prevent unfortunate accidents. However as well as the safety issue, there is also the risk of the designer being sued should something go wrong!
Euphorbia's are another one - a clump with its beautiful big 'flowers' at the front edge of a garden bed are very tempting for a child to pick but the tiniest bit of latex on the hand that is then used to rub the eye can cause indescribable pain - I know!!!!!
However not everyone does and that can add to the problem - not knowing what caused the irritation.
Member of South Australian Branch of Mediterrranean Garden Society.