Caryopteris clandonensis

• 1 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Caryopteris clandonensis
« on: September 16, 2011, 04:22:38 PM »
This arching shrub that comes into flower late in the summer is looking good at the moment despite weeks without any rain (8 come Monday 19th) and no watering. It is not particularly showy but any flowers are welcome in mid September when other subjects are looking decidedly weary after weeks of high temperatures. It seeds about freely with me, a sure sign that it can cope with the local conditiions. I hope to find some of the cultivars, such as "Kew Blue" sometime as they have darker/brighter flowers and would make more of an impact as long as they could withstand the dry, hot conditions.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Daisy

Re: Caryopteris clandonensis
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 08:04:45 AM »
Lovely soft blue and grey little shrub.
The strongest blue shade that I have seen, is one called Caryopteris First Choice.
It was found by Peter Catt of Liss Forest Nursery in Hampshire, England.
I believe, it is widely available now.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS