When is the best time to take cuttings of Lantana camara and L. montevidensis?

• 4 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
I have lots of material now (and at this time of year I can still be sure of the flower colour).
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

I use a mist bench with natural lighting and I think that we are at the end of the season for taking cuttings in these conditions (northern hemisphere). I have just taken Erysimum 'Bowles Mauve' about two weeks ago and they should be OK but from now on many things refuse to root. This is more so with difficult subjects.
An example which isn't difficult but I would say is fussy is Euphorbia characias. I think it has to be taken early in the season from young none flowering shoots and in the mist 90+% take well around the May period. Later in the year hardly any root. For me!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

ezeiza

Semi ripe cuttings in midsummer is standard in a warm place/bottom heat. Leafless cuttings are dipped in hormone and placed under a glass jar or plastic.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Thanks guys
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

JTh

• Email
I had no luck with my cuttings of Vitex agnus-castus which I brought back to Norway in August, the cuttings were probably too soft and they did not like to be squeezed in my suitcase, all of them rotted. Fortunately, I found a couple of bushes at a garden center here in Greece yesterday, they had them with both pink and mauve flowers.
Next time I'll try to find some cuttings that are more ripe
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.