Teucrium

• 2 Replies

John

Teucrium
« on: October 30, 2011, 11:17:16 AM »
When I was staying with Brian on the first morning of my trip we stopped to photograph the road verge only a few hundred meters from his house. Being my first trip anywhere on mainland Spain many plants were new to me. Teucrium pseudochamaepitys was in full flower on the 1st of May. It is a low growing herbaceous species with almost white flowers. In the second close up it was taken with Leuzea conifera whose capitulum of bracts were very "cone" like. Soon after the pink flowers would be emerging from the tip.
Brian lives near Ampolla (pronounced Ampolia from memory!) Catalonia. The climate here is very mediterranean.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Teucrium
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »
The "cones" of that Leuzea are extraordinary: thanks very much for showing us, John!
Is that herbaceous Teucrium a Spanish endemic?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

Re: Teucrium
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 11:44:29 AM »
I have to say that I don't know especially as the flora of this small region that Brian gave me is in Spanish (or Catalan). But I haven't seen it elsewhere e.g. Italy. Perhaps another member can enlighten us on this?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 11:46:16 AM by John »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.