NOW SOLVED: Guess what this is 12

• 13 Replies

John

NOW SOLVED: Guess what this is 12
« on: September 11, 2011, 09:53:33 PM »
I'm starting to lose track of the numbers! Shrub or small tree.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:53:01 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Guess what this is 12
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 09:07:21 AM »
Hmmm - panduriform leaves...  ...leads me in various directions.
Stab in the dark: is it a Magnolia relative?
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:11:42 AM »
_____ pu.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 10:56:08 AM »
Quercus  suber????????????
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 11:05:28 AM »
I suppose technically all flowering plants are Magnolia relatives but no not close. Not a quercus. If I understand Oron's suggestion, he may be right. See what else happens first?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 11:53:34 AM »
Hang on a mo'...
Which leaves belong to the tree in question - those on the left (pinnate) or right (panduriform) ?

While I'm here, I don't suppose it is in the Euphorbiaceae, is it?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 12:00:23 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

HansA

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 01:34:25 PM »
___ _rri_ ?
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

John

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 07:40:12 PM »
Yes, yes, yes I think most of you have got it now. It was quite a give away showing the leaves really.
John

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 08:06:51 PM »
That's a very impressive specimen, John!
I had no idea they could get that woody, having grown up with them just as fleeting Christmas pot plants in the UK.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:12:51 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike

John

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 11:16:03 PM »
Yes but I must give up any pretence that it is an unknown subject so here it is with a bit more including the inflorescences.
John

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 01:07:27 PM »
....and here is the name too..Euphorbia pulcherrima.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

John

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 01:49:53 PM »
Thank you, you are correct. A large old specimen on the north coast of Crete. I have seen this tree getting older as the years go by.
John

JTh

• Email
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »
It must be the one we saw in Crete last year?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 07:00:41 PM »
Yes it is Jorun.
John