New Residents

• 7 Replies

Daisy

New Residents
« on: September 11, 2011, 08:18:13 AM »
This is the first year for my little pond.
During this summer, many different dragonflies have visited.
Most of them have come and gone, but these two seem to have taken up permanent residence.
Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

hilberry

Re: New Residents
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
Fab photos, Daisy!
Retired artist/potter.  Amateur gardener searching for suitable plants for my hot dry summers, cool wet winters.  Redesigning the garden to have a shady area under trees, so searching also for dry shade plants and ideas for the type of soil needed.  I live in S.Loire Atlantique, France

julie

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 04:41:30 AM »
Lovely photos Daisy.  I am fascinated by dragonflies, their aerobatic skills are amazing.  The speed with which they twist, stop and turn is wonderful, wish I could do that!!  Will try to get some photos of the dragonflies which visit when they are next at my place.  They are quite numerous in the warmer months, especially late afternoon, evening, whizzing around in the air catching tiny flying insects, very entertaining to watch. 
The dragonflies in your photos appear slightly different , so will be interesting to compare.
Member MGS. Garden Designer, Plantaholic!! Live and Garden in the Adelaide Hills area and Adelaide area of South Australia.  Surprisingly different climatic conditions, therefore allowing the cultivation of a range of plants which is most enjoyable.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:37:45 PM »
I caught this one sitting by the pool in the MGS garden today. In the background are some of the myriad of mosquito fish which keep the pool free of larvae. I'd say they're an imperitive for any mass of water even though they're not native.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 10:02:40 AM »
While browsing the Internet for something completely different I came across the following web-site; www.friendlyaquaponics.com. On their Home page they have a link called Malaria eradication systems. This brings up a short video about their mosquito fish and the claims they make on their behalf, that is that they have totally eradicated all mosquitos on their property. I have mosquito fish in my small pond but I'm pretty sure there are some mossies still around, but then I don't have the millions of fish that they apparently do!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »
I realise that this post is probably about a year late but I'd never tried to photograph the fish before. It was purely an experiment to see if I could actually catch one of the mosquito fish (it's amazing what you'll do when it's too hot to work and you're at a loose end!). By the way the water-lily is Nymphaea 'Escarboucle'.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:54:56 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 11:12:15 AM »
A fish photo would be a first for me also, John. Well done.

If you have (or can borrow, at least to start with) a plane polarizing filter, that'll cut out the reflection (eg. of the sky) from the water surface, and give you a much clearer view of the fish.
A cheap way of experimenting with the effect is to put polarizing sunglasses (just one half, obviously) over the lens of your camera. You will need to turn it round until you see the maximum effect. If you see no change while rotating, the sunglasses aren't suitable.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 12:26:50 PM »
Thanks for the tips, Mike. As you have probably realised I'm not a serious photographer, I have a simple point and squirt camera, but I'm game to try new things. I could have cropped out the 'starburst' in the bottom left corner but I quite liked the effect.