Cape Sousaki

• 1 Replies

Hilary

Cape Sousaki
« on: March 08, 2024, 07:54:17 AM »
Cape Sousaki lighthouse.
Last Sunday we went in search of the Cape Sousaki lighthouse. I had done my homework and knew exactly how to get there but hadn't taken into account closed roads and the size of the oil refinery. However, we got there in the end by taking a long windy road by the sea.

Here is some information lifted from the Internet
Lighthouse Sousaki
Traditional Greek lighthouses
Established: 1894
Address: 20003 SOUSAKI , CORINTHIA , GREECE
The French Company of Lighthouses constructed that lighthouse in 1894, with a tower of 7,5 meters high and of 9 meters focal plane. It is located on the Sousaki cape, close to Agii Theodori, near to Isthmos of Korinthos, just a few meters from the sea, beside Motoroil’s refineries.

It’s a landmark of the area, and is one of the two lighthouses that lead safely the boats towards the Isthmos. It features a green flash every 10” and lighten range up to 12 nautical miles. In combination to the Isthmia port lamps make easier the approach to the canal for the boats that sail from east. Furthermore, is the west limit of mooring for oil tankers, which want to barge into or discharge to Agii Theodori port.
Source: Traditional Greek Lighthouses

I took photos of the plant life I could identify growing near the lighthouse a Yucca, Tobacco plant, Nicotiana glauca and Bermuda buttercup, Oxalis pes-caprae
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

Re: Cape Sousaki
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 06:58:33 AM »
Spergularia Bocconii, Bocconi’s sand spurrey,
Greek sea - spurrey.
This plant was growing on the beach near the Sousaki Lighthouse. The flowers were tiny and the photo I took of the plant hopeless.
Later I took better photos of the flower.
I am not sure that I found the correct name as it seems the colour of the seeds determines the identification and I doubt I will be going back to the lighthouse again.

MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care