4. THE PLANTERS ART
BY Martin Wood 

The title of the article is self-explanatory

One of the illustrations of this article is of the
Summer House, The Herb Garden, York Gate,
drawn by Derek Toms
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

Re: Unsung Heroes, Journal 17 Summer 1999
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 07:25:05 AM »
Journal 17
UC SANTA CRUZ ARBORETUM
By William Grant

This article is illustrated by a drawing by John Jefferis of Leucospermum cordifolium, an Australian plant.

I quote
“the University of California at Santa Cruz Arboretum now contains the largest collection of Australian plants outside their native habitat”

And as a bonus, A stamp issued in 1977 by South Africa of Leucospermum cordifolium

MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 07:42:23 AM »
Journal 17
MORE ROSES FOR WARM DRY CLIMATES
By Trevor Nottle
This article is about an Australian rose breeder named Alister Clark and gives a list of some of the roses he bred.
Unfortunately, there is no illustration to the article and I don’t have a photo of any of the roses on the list.
What I can do is give you the list of roses recommended for Mediterranean gardens and you can look them up on the Internet
‘Borderer’ (Clark, 1918)
‘Daydream’ (Clark, 1924)
‘Squatter’s Dream’ (Clark, 1923)
 ‘Sunlit’ (Clark,1937)
‘Jessie Clark’ (Clark, 1915)
‘Mrs. Richard Turnbull’ (Clark, 1945)
‘Nancy Hayward’ (Clark, 1937)

A post without a photo or two is a bit dry so here are three anonymous and abandoned rose bushes. A mauve rose somewhere in Lakonia, pink roses on my way to the shops in Corinth, and yellow roses in an area I have been to only once in Corinth. 

MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 08:48:42 AM »
Journal 17 Summer 1999
A LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT
Heidi Gildemeister

Apart from general news about all the branches of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN SOCIETY and contributors to the journal there is an account of a plant event in Courson, south of Paris.

THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN SOCIETY was generously offered a free stand and an ample number of plants were donated by a member.   

The letter is illustrated by a drawing of the  MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN SOCIETY stand at Courson  by Dave Cooper
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 06:28:36 AM »
Journal 17
PEST CONTROL
By Derrick Donnison- Morgan
& Jenny Bussy

This article writes about the several methods which can be used in Gardens for pest control,
Starting with Cultural control, handpick all diseased leaves from plants, keep secateurs clean etc. Let me add that heavy machinery, used to up root diseased trees, should be disinfected when moved to another area.
Biological control, attract birds to the garden, understand which insects help by eating aphids etc.
Chemical control only if necessary, disruption of insect communications and so on.

Since it is 20 odd years since this article was written there must have been some more discoveries on how to deal with pests in the garden.

The Palm weevil, Rhynchophorus ferrugineus, not mentioned in this article, was first reported in Greece in 2004. The photos of the weevil were taken in Sparta where many of the tall palm trees were devastated by this pest despite the various attempts to save them.

The photo of the tall Palm tree wrapped in protective netting was taken in the Royal Botanic Garden Madrid in 2018, This year we saw the tree in an unwrapped state and looking in perfect condition.

I can only assume that a way has been discovered to deal with this horrible pest.
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 07:41:01 AM »
A correction
I was told that the Palm weevil was first reported in Greece in November 2005 and that they arrived  in Greece in 2004 on Palm trees from Egypt
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 07:58:18 AM »
Journal 17 Summer 1999
UNSUNG HEROES
I have realized that there is a whole group of people who give their time voluntarily and contribute to the success of
THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN, the Journal of the
THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN SOCIETY, and their names haven’t turned up in this thread as they haven’t actually written an article or supplied a drawing.
These are translators, proof readers and even those who supply the photos on which the drawings are based.
I hope to correct this in further UNSUNG HEROES.
For the time being I will mention / thank Ana Heidtmann and Graziella Seferiades for translations.
And Anthony Green for help with proof reading.
Photos of three very different bouquets to thank them.
MGS member