? violet

• 4 Replies

gertrude

? violet
« on: July 11, 2022, 10:50:08 AM »
 Any alpine experts amongst us? because I am really at a loss to ID this one.
The attached photograph was taken in the Dolomites 2 weeks ago, at a height of 2150 mts.

Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

Hilary

Re: ? violet
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 08:59:45 AM »
Hi there,'
It looks like a violet
Yesterday I looked through a great website about flowers in the Dolomites but your violet was not one of them
If you remember, years ago, Oron Peri used to answer plant identification questions
I believe Mr. Peri is involved in the Alpine Flower Society maybe you could find your answer to the violet question through them
However, as we do not have a moderator now, only four of us can add to this site and It doesn't look as if the other two know your flower.
I have given up trying to name the plants I snap as there is always something I have missed, the underside of the leaf, the colour of the bark etc.

MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

gertrude

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 02:03:56 PM »
I wrote to the Alpine Society and someone has replied,
..... 'Having had a good look at your picture, I am certain this is Silene acaulis and not a Viola. Reasons: size, lack of viola leaves and the fact that the styles are protruding far out of the corola'.
So I looked more closely at the photograph and yes I believe this answer to be the one I was searching for.
 A new patch of Silene acaulis forming in yet anoather crevice.
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

Hilary

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 05:00:14 AM »
Glad you got a solution to your plant identification question, and so quickly
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

gertrude

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 05:27:57 PM »
Turns out it was not a violet afterall,  but a new patch of  silene acaulus, which someone at the Alpine Society id'd for me.