Colchicum

• 50 Replies

John

Re: Colchicum
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 04:57:47 PM »
I just went to see what the scent of Colchicum cupanii (collected on Crete) was like and it was sweet and smells of coconut.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Miriam

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 07:01:47 PM »
Lovely display Alisdair!

Yesterday I went to Jerusalem in order to see Colchicum hierosolymitanum in bloom:
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 07:22:41 PM »
Thanks for sharing your view of those lovely plants, Miriam! Any fragrance?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Miriam

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 09:59:57 PM »
Thanks Alisdair.
I did not notice any special fragrance...
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2011, 03:47:37 PM »
For Ori's photos of Colchicum antilibanoticum, szovitsii and feinbruniae among other mouth-watering bulbs in bloom at the moment in Israel, after rains,click here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2011, 01:29:02 PM »
Beautiful pictures Ori,  I think all of us who went to Israel this year with the MGS will just be longing to go back and see more.  Thanks for those.

anita

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 03:59:31 AM »
Autumn in South Australia and the colchicum are up. Not sure what the first variety is, its common in old gardens and is sold as C agrippinum... but I'm not confident that all the bulb suppliers are meticulous about their naming. Regardless of the name this bulb is summer dormant so can take our heat and drought, and I know when it flowers the loveliest weather of autumn is on its way.
I've also been lucky enough to source two bulbs of C. byzantinium album .. and look how many flowers from just two bulbs. Now if they will just move fast bulking up!
Dry mediterranean climate, avg annual rainfall 530mm, little or no frost. Winter minimum 1C, summer max 45C

Fermi

• Email
Re: Colchicum - 2018
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2018, 02:21:38 PM »
I'm reviving this Thread as some of the pics are intriguing.
Years ago I raised some colchicums from seed labelled Colchicum bivonae - when they flowered I was told that that was not what they were! Now a second generation have come up from self-sown seeds.
They look suspiciously like the Colchicum hierosolymitanum in Miriam's pics above but I'm sure I'd need to compare the foliage as well,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2018, 08:29:54 AM »
All I can say is definitely not bivonae.
Alisdair Aird

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2018, 10:41:28 AM »
All I can say is definitely not bivonae.
You're probably right, Alisdair! ;D
I think the new generation have hybridised with some of the others nearby such as this one (which came as C. autumnale but looks more like C. speciosum, or possibly a hybrid between the two?)
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2018, 11:01:56 AM »
Another colchicum from seed, this time labelled C. sibthorpiae but not that species
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2018, 05:16:34 AM »
This tiny one is Colchicum corsicum.
Grown from seed many years ago and planted in this bed before it was overgrown by Dymondia margaretae!
cheers
fermi

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2018, 08:30:57 AM »
Fermi, do you find bulbs (well, or corms etc) reasonably tolerant of Dymondia? I'm curious about their behaviour with ground covers generally. It's not something that's much discussed in print.
Alisdair Aird

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2018, 02:49:42 PM »
Alisdair,
I would not say that many bulbs are tolerant of being overgrown by Dymondia!
I was amazed that the colchicum was able to find a way through.
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2018, 04:49:10 AM »
This is one of the larger cultivars and I think it's around in commerce as 'The Giant'
cheers
fermi