Colchicum

• 50 Replies

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Colchicum sfikasianum
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 09:18:15 PM »
C. sfikasianum was named for our own George Sfikas who identified it in 1988. Kit Tan (Endemic Plants of Greece - The Peloponnese) says it can also be found in the southern Ionian islands and Attica.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Colchicum
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 09:35:28 PM »
Oron & Fleur - thank you
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

JTh

• Email
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 09:37:46 PM »
Back to C. troodi again, I was fortunate to see some nice clumps of this in Cyprus after the AGM in 2009.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 10:39:54 PM »
Another sign of autumn here in Halkidiki is the appearance of Colchicum, I always thought they were C. bivonae. The first ones this autumn were seen in the outskirts of the garden last week, I have not been able to photograph any of them yet, but here is an old photo taken 8 years ago just outside our gate. There are many of them in this region,  they vary a lot, so mayby there are different species? Some have more rounded petals like in the first photo and in the second, more cup shaped one, from the Holomondas (low mountains behind us), others seem to have more pointed petals (third photo, half way between our place near the coast and the Holomondas). The last ones looks more like C. macrophyllum, but they are not described in this region. Not that this always means that they can't be here, the place is more or less terra incognita when it comes to plant registrations
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 06:37:18 PM »
Wonderfull photos Jorun, in particularly C. troodii.
I agree with you that the last looks like C. macrophyllum rather then C. bivonae,
It would be very easy to have an answer when leaves are present.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 07:24:52 PM »
I'm sure I won't be here when the leaves are out.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:19:35 PM by JTh »

John

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 08:10:22 PM »
I think you should be careful in assuming you can tell a species from the leaves. On Crete I found what was obviously C. macrophyllum aan later I found it to be a huge leafed form of C. cupanii with pleated leaves!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 10:07:36 PM »
I think you should be careful in assuming you can tell a species from the leaves. On Crete I found what was obviously C. macrophyllum aan later I found it to be a huge leafed form of C. cupanii with pleated leaves!
Still, C. bivonae and C. macrophyllum have two distinctive leaves.

John

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 10:56:11 PM »
As far as you know!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Colchicum psaridis
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 07:23:42 PM »
We are back in the UK after the Mallorca/Menorca meeting, to find a pan of Colchicum psaridis in full flower. This is my favourite colchicum. It's endemic to southern Greece, neat and elegant, and full of character. Its corms are rather long and sinuous, bending around horizontally like little black fish - that's probably how it got its name (psari is Greek for fish). They develop from colonising rhizomes, so in the wild the plant can form extensive patches - the first I ever saw spread for a couple of metres right across an isolated cobbled donkey path. And a big plus for me is the honeyed fragrance, sweet but not cloying.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 08:01:49 PM »
Fantastic potful :o

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 09:10:41 PM »
Lovely!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 05:49:10 PM »
Nai katapliktikos.
John

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 06:51:37 PM »
Thanks folks - I wish we could get scent to travel over the internet though!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2011, 11:39:53 PM »
I'm sure there is an app for that!